Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

subframe is fine, but on/off throttle knocking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've checked all rear suspension components on both sides, torqued. Rear subframe looks good, no cracks or signs of cracks. Yet when I accelerate HARD, I can hear a "knock" back there. When I let off smoothly there isn't another knock, but if I let off quickly there is a knock like something is hinged and swinging with the inertia. Something heavy enough to make a poignant, deep knock sound. The last time my rear subframe broke (lol) it was repaired by a terrible shop. However, that was 6+ months ago and this sound has begun more recently. For the record I replaced all suspension components and brakes on the car in April...

Am I just not looking hard enough at the rear subframe? Do I seriously need a fourth rear subframe? Might be time for that Taycan order :(

mine is happening on all ride heights. it is easily reproduced - it happens when the load shifts, like something, is moving in the rear of the car back and forth. It is not only the sound, but I can feel something hitting the metal. it happens ONLY on acceleration, it does not knock on when I decelerate, on bumps, turns, etc.
I had 3(!) visits to the SC where they kept a car for a few days each time, but they can't find the source of the problem. This issue began when the Drive Unit was replaced. I thought it might be a cracked subframe, but the SC said the subframe is fine. I spent almost 2 hrs myself looking at all linkages/subframe/motor mounts etc and can;t find anything too ;-(

mine is happening on all ride heights. it is easily reproduced - it happens when the load shifts, like something, is moving in the rear of the car back and forth. It is not only the sound, but I can feel something hitting the metal. it happens ONLY on acceleration, it does not knock on when I decelerate, on bumps, turns, etc.
I had 3(!) visits to the SC where they kept a car for a few days each time, but they can't find the source of the problem. This issue began when the Drive Unit was replaced. I thought it might be a cracked subframe, but the SC said the subframe is fine. I spent almost 2 hrs myself looking at all linkages/subframe/motor mounts etc and can;t find anything too ;-(

Have you tried putting the seats down and having a friend crawl around the back to at least see if there's an "area" of the back that it's coming from?

not yet, but planned to do it. it seems like it is coming from the driver's side, but sometimes I can hear it from center/passenger side too. it is ALWAYS one distinct clunk/knock. will record the video soon ( planning to set up GoPro on the subframe - maybe that will make it more clear )