Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subsequent charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my EO charger installed and it looks smart and happy with how little was was involved with my consumer unit and earth rod install.

If I go for another EV can I run a 2nd charge point off the 1st one with it's earth rod and the same 32A breaker or do I need a breaker per charger?

You'll likely need a second 32A breaker, unless your chargers are 16A or less each

You're also likely to be pushing the limit of your home's main breaker, so you might need an upgrade there too. Most homes have either an 80A or 100A breaker

Will need to check with King Google - actually that's a good idea, as my 2nd charger will have no subsidies I may just buy a Tesla one as my 2nd one

The Tesla charger can't be subsidised, and they can only communicate with each other: so you'd have to get two Tesla chargers (both unsubsidised) or find another charger that can load share - I don't know of another off the top of my head, but I haven't looked into it

100A here

That might be okay, it will depend on the rest of your home. If you have 30/32A for your kitchen, plus electric showers or multiple ring mains for your mains sockets then you might still be pushing it with another 2x 32A.

It sounds like 2x Tesla chargers may be your best bet, but you'd be sacrificing the OLEV grant

• Informative
Reactions: DaddyCool
I have also been thinking ahead to when we become a two car EV family... I was wondering if I could get away with alternate night charges and then only use one charger? I am kind of hoping yes, as there is not a really great spot for a second charging point, but will likely have to wait a few years to see how it could work (ie once we get rid of the small ICE to replace it with a shiny Tesla!)

I'm expecting to charge my Model 3 less often than once per week... but obviously it depends how often you need to charge. As long as both of your cars can handle 2 days of normal use on one charge, plus a bit of a buffer so you aren't running to 0, you should be absolutely fine.

So if your commute is 50 miles, you need a car that has about 250 miles claimed range (2 days of 100 miles round trip, which would take you from 90% to 10% charge). As your battery degrades a little, you can eat a little into the 10% buffer (you probably don't need to get home with 25 miles of range)

Repeat that calculation for your second car too, and as long as both can handle it you're good to go. The simple calculation is to look for a car with a real-world winter range that is 5x your commute distance, or 5.5 if you want to account for more degradation long term.

So as a recent example for me (before I moved jobs), we would have needed 1x 200 mile range car for my 40 mile commute, and 1x 30 mile range car for the missus. We'd probably aim for more like 100 miles on the second car so that we can use it in the evening to go shopping or nip around town too, or so that we could use it for the longer commute in an emergency - so you can factor in some convenience, particularly on the cheaper, shorter range car.

You will also need to get advance permission from the DNO - the first they are (mostly?) obliged to give (its really for their records to know what high power devices are where), hence it can be obtained retrospectively although some installers want mpan prior to install otherwise they will not install.

I purchased two Tesla chargers from Ebay for this very same reason as they can load share. Does the Eo have that facility?
Did you get a good deal? o_O
Is it worth checking? As in... what about fakes and maybe damaged items (I.e. not working?)
I’m saying as I would be interesting to see if I could get one for myself, but I wouldn’t know what to look for in terms of knowing it’s a good deal other than a good discount from Tesla’s original price :p

Just had my EO charger installed and it looks smart and happy with how little was was involved with my consumer unit and earth rod install.

If I go for another EV can I run a 2nd charge point off the 1st one with it's earth rod and the same 32A breaker or do I need a breaker per charger?

my installer won't fit the EO charger with an earth rod now and claim it needs an extra device (Matt-E?) anyone else come across this?

Their argument is that multiple earth rods could be required to get a low enough impedance.

The cynic in me thinks that it's easier to fix a matt-e to the wall and wire it in, than it is to bang multiple rods in to the ground. There's also the risk of hitting something, with an earth rod.

Reactions: Adopado
The two I purchased were £100 each cheaper than list price and in very good as new condition. I was surprised how many are available and sold two Rolec chargers for silly money to part fund them.
Ebay currently has one seller with new ones for £400, and one "lightly used" one with 2.5m cable (of no use to me). How much did you get for the Rolecs? Thinking of swapping my 5m Rolec (juuuust a little too short to charge when the car is nose-in to the driveway) for a 7.5m Tesla charger. A 7m cable with "Tesla button" is €229 from evchargeking.com.

@rotor2k I sold one for a crazy £200 early bid and the second for £150.
They must be being purchased by people who can't get the grant installed ones or decided that it is cheaper to simply buy secondhand.
I purchased them both new for not much more than £100 each via Ebay some years ago when EV drivers were considered to be a very small minority.
How times change!