Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden panic stop, and tore the Caliper bolts off on 2018 Model X

mbp11

Jan 30, 2019
SF Bay Area
Something happened to me yesterday. I was driving at a low rate of speed in crowded traffic, perhaps 10-15 mph in the rain, and the car in front of me unexpectedly slowed and stopped. I slammed on the brakes and easily stopped but heard a popping noise from the front. When I started again, there was a light grinding scraping noise from the left front driver's wheel that was really loud at low speeds but decreased while going a little faster. Scraping was worse with right turns, went away with left turns, and seemed to come and go. I drove it a little yesterday and today but because I had heard about problems with suspension bolts failing in the early MXs, I just dropped in to the Dublin Service Center and presented myself as an "unsafe to drive" issue. They immediately took the car in (while I went with my girlfriend to pick up my hybrid SUV at Ford after a starting problem) and by the time I got back, I got a call that they verified the caliper brake bolts had broken and were replaced:

Concern: Customer States: Yesterday an emergency stop occurred by slamming on the brakes to avoid an accident and now when turning the wheel left a grinding type noise can be heard.
Technician verified grinding brake noise. Secured Left front Caliper with 2 new bolts and torqued to 120 nm. Road tested and noise is gone. Reviewed History and no brake work that I see done here. The Caliper and edge of rotor have signs of cosmetic scaping only . See pics.

Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: No Labor Performed - Part Replaced
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity BOLT,TE,M12x45,STL[109],ZNFL[BLCK](1088968-00-B) 2.0

The car is good to drive now, they fixed it within a few hours, I thanked them for the good service. I also filed a report with the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration.

Have you ever seen this? Wonder if I should have the other brake calipers checked?

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
Did not get that information. Was told that the bolt was under torqued, whatever that means

means it was not tightened down properly, and, if only tesla serviced their car, 100% on them :(

sounds like the bolt fell out, and didn't break

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
Yeah, still, scary!
They fixed it quickly!

yeah, i've had a caliper bolt come out at 140mph and drop the caliper. not a good feeling. usually it's catastrophic when the caliper hits the inside wheel you can take out the entire corner of the suspension

Reactions: mbp11

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC