Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suddenly hearing pedestrian warning when reversing on 2016 X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MikeC

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2012
Los Angeles
I have a 2016 X that I’ve owned for seven years. Today, for the first time ever, when I put it in reverse, the pedestrian warning noise that newer Teslas make when reversing came on. I didn’t even know it had the speaker for it. Even weirder, now when I put it in drive, it makes a weird static noise while I drive.

I did just get it back from the body shop 9 days ago to repair front end damage and I’m realizing now as I write this that maybe the replacement part included the pedestrian warning speaker. But this didn’t happen at all until today and I’ve been driving it for 9 days.

Reboot your MCU with the two-scroll-wheel method. Might need to do it a couple times. My 2016 X has also done this a couple times, without any obvious reasons other than a computer glitch. I have the MCU2 upgrade as well, and no external speaker for that alert sound to play through.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeC
I have a 2016 X that I’ve owned for seven years. Today, for the first time ever, when I put it in reverse, the pedestrian warning noise that newer Teslas make when reversing came on. I didn’t even know it had the speaker for it. Even weirder, now when I put it in drive, it makes a weird static noise while I drive.

I did just get it back from the body shop 9 days ago to repair front end damage and I’m realizing now as I write this that maybe the replacement part included the pedestrian warning speaker. But this didn’t happen at all until today and I’ve been driving it for 9 days.
How this sounds look like? I did MCU upgrade on my car but never mention any warning sound outside of my car when it’s in reverse.

How this sounds look like? I did MCU upgrade on my car but never mention any warning sound outside of my car when it’s in reverse.

It hasn't happened again - just that one time - but it sounded like the reverse warning spaceship sound coming from a really bad, staticky speaker located under the hood (or maybe behind the dashboard as @Kristoffer Helle mentioned).

I have had the MCU2 upgrade for about 6 months now.

Reactions: Kristoffer Helle