Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suddenly, my Samsung SSD music library isn't recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poof. Out of the blue, the Samsung SSD I've been using in the car since new for music only, playing through the USB-C port in the center console, is no longer recognized.
No updates. No change of any kind. Just suddenly no longer works. Works fine in my other cars and on my PC.

Anyone else with this issue? Again, it's music only, nothing to do with the other drive in the glove box for sentry. It's formatted XFat. Worked perfectly for 9 months.

Search the forum; there is a fix. I'm not sure of the specific steps. The fix involves turning off Sentry mode and unplugging the drive. Then rebooting the Tesla Model Y's computer before reconnecting the drive and enabling Sentry mode.

No no no... this is NOT the glovebox port. This is the center console ports. The glove box still has the original Tesla USB drive for Sentry. This one is music only. In the center console
Ok; Same fix. Unplug the drive and reboot the computer one time before reinstalling the drive. (You may have to reboot a second time once re-installed.)

Yes. A couple of software updates ago, the problem got fixed. It was an issue with the cars "unmounting" USB's randomly, both the center console and glove box.
It's still not fixed in firmware 16.2. USB still disappears when I leave the car for more than a few minutes. You have to press the right steering wheel button and say "Switch to USB". Then the USB drive reappears and music resumes playing where you left off.

If that doesn't work, unplug the drive from the USB port and plug it back in. If it still doesn't work, unplug and replug again. I haven't had to unplug and replug more than twice.

It's something that happens as I open the car door. As soon as the screen lights up, I can see my playing USB folder, but as I'm opening the car door, the screen reverts to the Tidal QR code with no trace of USB.

It's a defect that Tesla introduced in a December 2021 firmware update. Up to that point, USB always resumed playing whether I left the car for a few minutes or for a week.

I'm on 2022.12.3.20 and it is a problem for me. My high endurance flash card shows as not available. If I ask the car to format the card it does, says it formatted properly, and works at that moment. An hour later, the little red X is present again. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update, it's an important safety feature IMO.

It's still not fixed in firmware 16.2. USB still disappears when I leave the car for more than a few minutes. You have to press the right steering wheel button and say "Switch to USB". Then the USB drive reappears and music resumes playing where you left off.

If that doesn't work, unplug the drive from the USB port and plug it back in. If it still doesn't work, unplug and replug again. I haven't had to unplug and replug more than twice.

It's something that happens as I open the car door. As soon as the screen lights up, I can see my playing USB folder, but as I'm opening the car door, the screen reverts to the Tidal QR code with no trace of USB.

It's a defect that Tesla introduced in a December 2021 firmware update. Up to that point, USB always resumed playing whether I left the car for a few minutes or for a week.

I wonder if this is why I can't get a PS4 or PS3 controller to work with my car... I never tried to use them before, and I don't use the USB's for anything other than charging normally, so I don't know if they are not showing up for some random reason and this is why I can't get the controllers to connect...

Keith

I'm on 2022.12.3.20 and it is a problem for me. My high endurance flash card shows as not available. If I ask the car to format the card it does, says it formatted properly, and works at that moment. An hour later, the little red X is present again. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update, it's an important safety feature IMO.
Today when I asked the car to format the device it said there had been an error formatting. Tomorrow it may format just fine. In a computer it works just fine.