Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for a Norcal road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zorg

Oct 24, 2017
Fremont, ca
I figured that I'll take the family for a road trip around Northern California starting from the bay area. Any suggestion? I can take the S85 or the 3. Looking at going to Lassen National Park, then Mt Shasta. Suggestions are welcome.

And if it's hot and you like swimming

McArthur-Burney Falls Memorial SP

I second this. Also, depending upon the dates, the north coast is great in August. Clendenon's cider works starts pressing apples in Fortuna. Ferndale is a neat funky old town. Wild blackberries ripen, and they are yours for the picking for eating, ice cream or pie--but they are very fragile!

Many highways are fun to drive including SR 36 east of Fortuna (I think the construction will be wrapped up in a few months, but check road conditions), SR 3 from Peanut north through Hayfork to Weaverville and then north through Etna, Fort Jones, and Yreka. Or SR 96 from Willow Creek off SR 299 that will eventually parallel the Shasta River, good for swimming too. The eastern terminus of SR 96 is at I-5, about 10 miles north of Yreka.

Climb Shasta or Castle Crags.

Nevada City has its Wednesday street fairs during July.

Plumas-Eureka SP is fun too.

Across the Sierra Nevada just south of Bridgeport is the ghost town of Bodie.

You might be gone the better part of a month! :)

• Informative
Reactions: arcus and Blup85
Thanks for the tips. Interested in getting feedback from folks who have done the trip in their tesla to help my planning accordingly.

Did Yosemite, Mono lake, Bodie last year in the ICE car. This year gonna be all electric. So need to plan the route and charging points. Not too many yet up that way outside of 5 and 101.

I have a 40 amp at my house on the east side of Lake Almanor. Depending on when you go, and the house is empty, you can charge at my place while enjoying the view :). BYOB
Screenshot_20190415-164728_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20190415-164723_Photos.jpg

We did Lassen NP in 2016. We stayed at the Best Western Antelope Inn in Red Bluff, and I charged the car full before we left. Wh/m was frightening on the way up, over 600, but the way back is all down hill. We went in from the south and came out the north. It took 135 miles of rated range to get to the peak, but only 20 to get back. See my check-in on a PlugShare dated 6/26/2016.

Reactions: Zorg
Not that anybody cares, but I booked a night at the Best Western in Redding to take advantage of destination charging. Gonna visit Lassen next day and then off to Shasta for a day. Eureka will be the third night, and then drive down the redwoods highway.

Well, it went perfectly, except for the snow over 89 which stopped us from going through Lassen. Anyway, best Western in Redding had 2 destination chargers and 2 level 2 chargers. Drive to Lassen and Shasta was great. Drive from Mt Shasta to Eureka was pretty, and the 3 was a blast in the Twisties. Final drive down 101 was very pretty with a detour among the redwoods. Great road trip.

Attachments

• PANO_20190615_102524.vr.jpg
    PANO_20190615_102524.vr.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20190614_120959.jpg
    IMG_20190614_120959.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20190616_194142_380.jpg
    IMG_20190616_194142_380.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20190615_122835.jpg
    IMG_20190615_122835.jpg
    852.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20190616_095548.jpg
    IMG_20190616_095548.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 41
Well, it went perfectly, except for the snow over 89 which stopped us from going through Lassen. Anyway, best Western in Redding had 2 destination chargers and 2 level 2 chargers. Drive to Lassen and Shasta was great. Drive from Mt Shasta to Eureka was pretty, and the 3 was a blast in the Twisties. Final drive down 101 was very pretty with a detour among the redwoods. Great road trip.

Yeah, highway 89 is the last highway to open after the winter closure. And with the winter we just had, my guess is that it won't open until the end of June or early July. Tioga Road through Yosemite is still closed with no reopening date. (Although CalTrans has highway 120 plowed to the entrance gate but no vehicle entry--only your two legs are permitted west of the gate.)

One of the things we flatlanders have to keep reminding ourselves is that just because the weather has been temperate along the coast or in the interior valleys for months, it does not mean that CalTrans and the National Park Service have opened all the mountain passes. Always check road conditions--even in June or July!