Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for repairing B-pillar glass scratches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BWHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH *breath* HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

The Ranger was out for an unrelated thing and I mentioned and show him the scratches. Looks at it and "let me get a quote for you on replacement". He then opens the doors and pulls off the panel below the glass pane so he can get the part number (apparently they don't trust their books, because of mid-production part changes). Finds the part. Then "oh wait, what's this?" as he's trying to get the panel back on the bottom. Someone at the factory (delivery?) forgot to pull off the protective film on that side. We peel it off fully and no scratches. Slipshod job done saves the day! :rolleyes:

Curiously the film was NOT left on on the driver's side.

P.S. This further convinces me that silentcorp is onto something with installing a protective film on them.

Thank you SOOO much for this! EXACT same thing happened to my 2020 Model 3 Performance built on 12-26-19! I got it home and thought what the HECK? Is that scratched plastic? No it's glass, how did just the B pillar get scratched? Was trying to decide if it was worth taking to a dealer to have it fixed. Found this thread, and thought NO WAY they could be still doing this... went out to the garage with a flashlight not expecting any love. I had to really dig at the bottom edge of the glass to find the plastic edge and VOILA!!! THANK YOU!!!! Also passenger side only!

Reactions: tren01t and Reeler
BWHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH *breath* HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

The Ranger was out for an unrelated thing and I mentioned and show him the scratches. Looks at it and "let me get a quote for you on replacement". He then opens the doors and pulls off the panel below the glass pane so he can get the part number (apparently they don't trust their books, because of mid-production part changes). Finds the part. Then "oh wait, what's this?" as he's trying to get the panel back on the bottom. Someone at the factory (delivery?) forgot to pull off the protective film on that side. We peel it off fully and no scratches. Slipshod job done saves the day! :rolleyes:

Curiously the film was NOT left on on the driver's side.

P.S. This further convinces me that silentcorp is onto something with installing a protective film on them.

Whelp.. thanks for that hahaha I went outside and started flicking away at the corner, and then opened the door and flicked from the bottom and the protective sheet came up hahahahaha wtf... there's still some scratching on the panel next to the passenger side view mirror though :(... picked at it and doesn't seem like there's any covering...just scratching lol

It's funny, but not all that surprising. Lots of consumer products now come with protective film that you can hardly tell is still on. On Black Friday this year, I had to buy a new fridge. I got an LG, and that had film everywhere. It's funny, but I removed the film on one door, and left it on the other door, and ask everyone who comes to my house, can they tell? Nope, no one can tell which door has the film still on it.

I don’t have any suggestions but did this just happen while the car was parked? Why must people do this to other people's things! Sorry OP!

I think people who have nothing to lose can engage in such behaviour as when you have nothing you cant lose anything even if you get caught. This is accompanied with a sense of self entitlement that they deserve better because good fortune comes to everyone automatically in life and they feel that they should have deserved a slice of the cake too.

Combine this with a lack of prosecution for this in the USA and you have recipy for disaster.

I would just let the insurance handle this. vandalism doesnt affect premiums in the usa does it?