Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for repairing B-pillar glass scratches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ℬête Noire

Jan 30, 2018
TX
Is there a way to repair this short of full piece replacement?

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 2.32.51 PM.png

P.S. Way to represent Appalachian Virginia, you turd that did this. :/

Hard to tell how deep the scratches are, but the superficial ones can be potentially polished out. If your fingernail can catch in them then probably not.

If you're a DIY kind of person you can look up how to polish auto glass, get a kit like the one below (no experience with it, just an example), etc. Or you can go to a detailer and see how much they'll charge relative to how much Tesla charges for the part.

https://www.amazon.com/GP28003-Glass-Scratch-Scratches-Diameter/dp/B007CJJLIY/

I should also add that polishing would remove any special coatings that may be on the glass. Not sure what might be on the piece in question though. I can't imagine it's THAT expensive of a replacement...

Hard to tell how deep the scratches are, but the superficial ones can be potentially polished out. If your fingernail can catch in them then probably not.

If you're a DIY kind of person you can look up how to polish auto glass, get a kit like the one below (no experience with it, just an example), etc. Or you can go to a detailer and see how much they'll charge relative to how much Tesla charges for the part.
Yeah, the deeper ones I can catch my nail on. I guess I can polish out the majority and live with the deep ones. I doubt it is feasible to do it all via surface removal. I was just wondering if there was something with plausible gap fill capabilities.

Yeah, the deeper ones I can catch my nail on. I guess I can polish out the majority and live with the deep ones. I doubt it is feasible to do it all via surface removal. I was just wondering if there was something with plausible gap fill capabilities.

There certainly are glass-filling epoxies used for windshield chips and cracks. Can't hurt to try. Even Rain-X makes a small kit. No experience using them for scratches like this though.

• Helpful
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I did some research before on how to remove scratches from glass. I have not done it yet. But it seems like the compound to use is called Cerium Oxide. You can get this at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Gordon-Glass...8&qid=1546837833&sr=8-3&keywords=cerium+oxide

There are also two YouTube Video on how to polish it:

Again. I have not done this myself yet. But I think the principle is applying the cerium oxide (which is few micros in size) onto the glass and use a polisher to slowly rub out or grind out scratches. It seems to work on the windshield glass.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
BWHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH *breath* HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

The Ranger was out for an unrelated thing and I mentioned and show him the scratches. Looks at it and "let me get a quote for you on replacement". He then opens the doors and pulls off the panel below the glass pane so he can get the part number (apparently they don't trust their books, because of mid-production part changes). Finds the part. Then "oh wait, what's this?" as he's trying to get the panel back on the bottom. Someone at the factory (delivery?) forgot to pull off the protective film on that side. We peel it off fully and no scratches. Slipshod job done saves the day! :rolleyes:

Curiously the film was NOT left on on the driver's side.

P.S. This further convinces me that silentcorp is onto something with installing a protective film on them.

BWHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH *breath* HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

The Ranger was out for an unrelated thing and I mentioned and show him the scratches. Looks at it and "let me get a quote for you on replacement". He then opens the doors and pulls off the panel below the glass pane so he can get the part number (apparently they don't trust their books, because of mid-production part changes). Finds the part. Then "oh wait, what's this?" as he's trying to get the panel back on the bottom. Someone at the factory (delivery?) forgot to pull off the protective film on that side. We peel it off fully and no scratches. Slipshod job done saves the day! :rolleyes:

P.S. This further convinces me that silentcorp is onto something with installing a protective film on them.

That is super strange, and lucky. My local SC gave me a little crap about it being over the glass with the Xpel. That was back in February. Their first m3. I have yet to experience any issues with Nav on AP. I didn't ask my installer for it on the B pillar they just installed it.

If anyone wants to do it. Not too expensive. $29.95 B-Pillar Kit (ULTIMATE PLUS)

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Thought that occurs to me; Because this looks so much like it's the glass itself, as the tech didn't realize it by inspecting the scratches, maybe those people that have had scratching happen from card use had the film left on, too, but didn't realize it was the film mistakenly left there? The film is going to be more vulnerable to surface marking.

Reactions: MP3Mike

That is too funny! My guy looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him to wrap those parts, but who is laughing now?!?! Answer, it's you my man, you are the one laughing now!!! : )

Thought that occurs to me; Because this looks so much like it's the glass itself, as the tech didn't realize it by inspecting the scratches, maybe those people that have had scratching happen from card use had the film left on, too, but didn't realize it was the film mistakenly left there? The film is going to be more vulnerable to surface marking.

I have to say. When I first saw the post. The picture almost reminded me of what acrylic looks like when scratched. Glass doesn't usually look as such, but I then I said. That must be why it was wrapped, but I now know the rest of the story.