Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Visors - Missing Vanity Light?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
version 2.0
Here the mirror is modified by hand (it is a prototype). The next will be done by machine, and the cut edges will be straight and the glass much more smoother.
Please have a look and comments please.

IMG_5342.JPG
IMG_5317.JPG

The Chevy Malibu I'm renting while on vacation has vanity lights, coat hooks, and deep door pockets. It costs about 25k. I could buy five of them for what I paid for my Tesla.
You may prefer vanity lights and coat hooks. I prefer a roomy, fast, long range EV. We each have our priorities. No car satisfies everyone.

version 2.0
Here the mirror is modified by hand (it is a prototype). The next will be done by machine, and the cut edges will be straight and the glass much more smoother.
Please have a look and comments please.

View attachment 215434
View attachment 215435

Looks great. Are those small LED strips on either side? What color temperature?
Sign me up for 2 full sets (2 S--see below).

Looks good! Sorry I'm late to this party, been a bit busy on another project. As @JPP mentioned, he'd sent me a prototype a few weeks ago, which again I've been remiss in getting to. From my perspective, some other things to note:

- The light shouldn't dazzle....if it's using the LED strips, then something over them to reduce the harshness of the lights would be good
- Aesthetically, a fade to on would be nice, albeit more complicated
- @JPP's version runs from a battery; I think this would be the more ideal option, as running wires is beyond the scope/comfort level of the majority of Tesla owners (but hiding the battery isn't easy either, especially when it needs to be accessible for changing....solar-powered visor lights anyone...?!)

Reactions: YVR88
Looks good! Sorry I'm late to this party, been a bit busy on another project. As @JPP mentioned, he'd sent me a prototype a few weeks ago, which again I've been remiss in getting to. From my perspective, some other things to note:

- The light shouldn't dazzle....if it's using the LED strips, then something over them to reduce the harshness of the lights would be good
- @JPP's version runs from a battery; I think this would be the more ideal option, as running wires is beyond the scope/comfort level of the majority of Tesla owners (but hiding the battery isn't easy either, especially when it needs to be accessible for changing....solar-powered visor lights anyone...?!)

pete--there is room for 2 versions, yours (battery powered, stick on, opaque lens), and hard wired (assuming that there is fairly easy access to the power needed for the 12V version Herbie is working on).

I'd go so far as to say: "I would buy!"

(Caveats: Assuming it was available in interior matching color, reasonably priced, and was installable by the owner).

From a message I received from Herbie, his solution uses OEM Tesla visors (hope he doesn't mind me sharing those details).

I'm definitely in for this, great modification and mind boggling that Tesla doesn't have this solution as standard equipment.

Thanks for the reply Pete.
The next version will be less harsh. Just wait a couple of days for pictures)))
Fade on/ off will be complicated/ expensive/prone to fail.
Cable's will be easier than expected. Just wait for it!

The early 2012 car I drove at the Get Amp'd event for reservation holders actually had visor lights. When my car was delivered in early 2013 without them, I was told Elon didn't like the design, but that they would be retro-fitted when the new ones came out. I suppose I should have got that in writing. I have used the vanity light wiring harness in my headliner to power my dash cam.

Reactions: YVR88
You paid a lot of attention during your ride! I did the Get Amp'd ride in Miami (Texas wasn't on the tour back then), and I couldn't even tell you the color of the car, I was totally suckered in by the acceleration and all the cool stuff.

The final version is completed, with improvements:
- better color, matching the dome lights of the car,
- better location of the lights,
- less bright, not to illuminate the whole interior of the car
- better location of the switch (and using better microswitches)
- original Tesla plugs to connect to the existing wiring of the car.
Orders are taken now. we charge €100,- per installation (sun visor, shipping charges and VAT not included)

IMG_5414.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG
IMG_5387.JPG

You paid a lot of attention during your ride! I did the Get Amp'd ride in Miami (Texas wasn't on the tour back then), and I couldn't even tell you the color of the car, I was totally suckered in by the acceleration and all the cool stuff.

I actually took a checklist with me on the Get Amp'd ride. I had a number of things to check off and had heard there was some controversy over the visor lights. The early cars were also not available with parking sensors. I was told at the Get Amp'd ride that they would be retrofitted later at no cost. So much for that one too...

I see a harness so I imagine they are plug and play?

How does one remove the visor? - Can you do a YouTube video tutorial maybe?
Install tutorial.
I can follow directions but I'd be hard pressed to figure this it on my own.
They are indeed plug and play
This is the video how to de-install the visors, care should be taken with the covers, if you do it wrong and use force, you will brake or damage the covers.
They will come with a video how to re-install and how to connect to the existing wiring.
removal is less than 2 minutes, and installation less than 5.

Reactions: CameronB