Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Visors - Missing Vanity Light?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are indeed plug and play
This is the video how to de-install the visors, care should be taken with the covers, if you do it wrong and use force, you will brake or damage the covers.
They will come with a video how to re-install and how to connect to the existing wiring.
removal is less than 2 minutes, and installation less than 5.

Herbie--you need to upload/embed the video....

The Chevy Malibu I'm renting while on vacation has vanity lights, coat hooks, and deep door pockets. It costs about 25k. I could buy five of them for what I paid for my Tesla.

Yeah? And how long has the Malibu been around? How long has Chevy been around? How many cars has Chevy made?

Model S is Tesla's second car, and their first real car. Tesla has been criticized for their 'lack of luxury", but Tesla is a tech company before everything. So that's why. Hopefully they add the basics and step it up. But if they don't it wont bother me.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
Yeah? And how long has the Malibu been around? How long has Chevy been around? How many cars has Chevy made?

Model S is Tesla's second car, and their first real car. Tesla has been criticized for their 'lack of luxury", but Tesla is a tech company before everything. So that's why. Hopefully they add the basics and step it up. But if they don't it wont bother me.
This is very true. Tesla focused on the right stuff for their first production vehicle (drivetrain) as the risk of getting it wrong would have sunk the company, whereas no lights in the sun visors is unlikely to be its downfall. However, they also put way too much engineering effort into the door handles, so there's still a question mark over some of those early design priorities. I'm sure many people would trade pop-out (and error prone) door handles for stock items that many $25k cars have, i.e. coat hooks, parcel shelf connected to the hatch, blind spot detection and sun-visor lights). But remember, the S is designed around what Elon thought important...he was driving a Q7 at the time that had all that stuff and more, but obviously not a high priority in his mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: sorka
Maybe. But I will guarantee you that we (current MS owners) will not get a free upgrade..
If they do start providing lighted mirrors in new cars, it would be nice if Tesla, for existing owners, would say that lighted visors would be installed at annual maintenance visits. Therefore guaranteeing they wouldn't be overwhelmed with requests and it would be a slow process, and the cost could be sunk to some extent in the service charge.

I love how folks are saying they are glad Tesla focused on the right things with the drive train versus sun visors. Do you people comprehend that Tesla can do both, but chooses not to? Are you suggesting that the same level engineer who would have designed the sun visors is being utilized to work on the drive train? What's up with such 2-dimensional thinking? Like a company can only focus on one thing at a time... and please tell me, what has Tesla been doing over the last four years to not be able to design a lighted sun visor? Oh right, because they are focusing on Autopilot. I guess that's why it's so bad, because they put the lighted sun visor engineer on the Autopilot project...

You may prefer vanity lights and coat hooks. I prefer a roomy, fast, long range EV. We each have our priorities. No car satisfies everyone.

I debated for many hours over several months whether I could take the performance, range, and interior volume hit before popping $9.95 for two Evannex coat hooks.

Even now, the 0.93 cubic inch decrease in interior volume, 0.00001 0-60 MPH increase, and 0.0000003 wh/mile increase keeps me up at night sometimes. I occasionally wake up in the middle of the night with cold sweats saying to myself "what have I done?".

I finally decided the other day that I need to seek professional counseling over this crisis that adding the coat hooks has caused me.

The Tesla folks clearly had this figured out in advance and realized by keeping these standard car features out that they were saving the collective Tesla community $millions in therapy bills.

Maybe. But I will guarantee you that we (current MS owners) will not get a free upgrade..

Actually, we have it in writing that when they introduce lighted vanity mirrors that existing cars will be retrofitted for free. That said, I don't believe it will happen any time soon if ever since tesla was very public about retrofitting cars when the lighted versions became available and that could end up costing quite a bit.

Personally I'd love to have lighted mirrors, one coat hook at least and even grab bars (plan to keep our S for sometime and could be back saving as one gets older). I'm going to say everyone buying a MS probably rates EV first in priority, with tech, styling and performance falling somewhere after that depending on the individual, and the creature comforts after that. Clearly not everyone cares about these "luxury features" but due to ICE cars having them for sometime, I think as Tesla moves more mainstream they need to be there if not as standard then as an option. All of the above features can be beautifully designed to go into the car and stay minimal in appearance. I have no doubt Tesla can do it. They just need to want to do it. In the meantime nice to see options from creatives like Herbie65.