TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sunpass

Discussion in 'Florida' started by tropical1, Jul 13, 2016.

1. tropical1

tropical1 Member

Sunpass sent me a mountable transmitter. Does this need to be installed by Tesla on Model S or can I DIY.

Thanks

2. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

If you're comfortable popping off the nosecone then it's totally a DIY. Tons of threads on here on how to do that. But if you're near a service center they can do it in just a few minutes. They installed mine when I picked up my car.

I believe it's just zip tied to the steel beam behind the nose cone. It's nothing high tech. Mine works perfect there.

3. Science->Truth

Yes, it's great with the hidden mount behind the nosecone. I think it's so much better than an (ugly) item on the top of the windshield. Only thing I noticed, is that when at the airport parking SunPass lane, make *sure* to stop firmly right as the rear wheels are on the speed bump. If you pull too far forward, the transponder will not read. I assume it's designed under the assumption it's at the top of the windshield. Once you know, it works fine. Just don't pull too far forward before the transponder is read.

4. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    At least at MIA Sunpass is no longer accepted. The last time I parked there a few weeks ago the Sunpass signs were gone and one had to exit in the normal lanes.:mad:

5. tropical1

tropical1 Member

Racerx22b thanks for you response

Jbcarioca I can't believe they don't accept it at MIA. All of the garage at Tampa Airport have it.

6. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    MIA discontinued Surpass only a few weeks ago. Major bummer for me!

7. DougNguyen

DougNguyen New Member

You can register your account via your plate only, no extra equipment needed, no extra fees either

8. m2s2

m2s2 Member

I believe the new nose cones like in the X and new S do not have room forvtranmitter. Suction cut works through new windows

9. Hookemhorns

Hookemhorns Member

Has anyone put one of the window stickers on the new refresh Model S? Just got mine, and wonder if that will work

10. siraj

siraj Member

I believe it's just zip tied to the steel beam behind the nose cone. It's nothing high tech. Mine works perfect there.[/QUOTE]
    Yes.. It works most of the time.. There is a spot by the rear view mirror.

11. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

For those of you mounting transponders behind the nosecone, are you using the sticker transponder, or are you using the battery-powered box transponders? I thought the stickers were only for mounting on glass...

12. Science->Truth

No, not the sticker transponder nor the small box transponder goes behind nosecone. Get the "license plate mounted" transponder and mount that behind the nose cone. Mine was installed by Tesla service center at new car pickup with two screws. If you are comfortable popping off the nosecone, its easy.

13. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Already had the nosecone removed. :)

After catching up on all the threads, I've decided simply to go transponderless. I also checked with Sunpass and they confirmed that an ITOL transaction is billed at exactly the same rate as a TTOL. As long as I have a transponder assigned to my car, I'll get billed the same regardless of identification method. My thanks to them for being proactive that way, as it makes my life a whole lot easier.

• Informative x 1