Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof motor location!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me elaborate...

Mainly two things can go wrong with the sunroof, or mostly just one. Roof is "stucked", not because of faulty motors (which can happen thou) but because it was not maintained properly and now it wont slide the way it should.

So first establish if roof can move freely by hand. Then, if this is fine, move to motors and check if they rotate. Next check the cables.

But my bet is on the glass being stuck due to dirt or similar.

Let me elaborate...

Mainly two things can go wrong with the sunroof, or mostly just one. Roof is "stucked", not because of faulty motors (which can happen thou) but because it was not maintained properly and now it wont slide the way it should.

So first establish if roof can move freely by hand. Then, if this is fine, move to motors and check if they rotate. Next check the cables.

But my bet is on the glass being stuck due to dirt or similar.
Thank you for the information. please excuse my ignorance in this matter. is there a video for manually moving the sunroof as well as how to locate, remove the motor or the cables?

I found this for removing the motor:

Post in thread 'Sunroof motor location!'
Sunroof motor location!

Once you do this you have to try to slide the sunroof, from the front to back, slightly prese up from inside. Once you get a hand of it its easy…but if its stucked maybe it wont move at all
thank you so much for the video. very thorough video and made it a breeze to get to the motor location, but i couldn't not figure out what to do next. i only tried this on the driver side. i also tried slide the sunroof from inside, but it wouldn't budge. also i found a loose cable which i couldn't figure the other end.

Attachments

• 20240526_135854.jpg
    20240526_135854.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240526_135903.jpg
    20240526_135903.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 4
No idea about the cable, try to take a better picture of it...but I think i also see similar cable in the Tesla's service manual I posted?

About the roof...Both motors move the glass. Each on every side. And there is no way you will move the glass with motors attached, impossible. Thats why I'd disconnect them both.

Motors are attached to the cable which then hooks onto hinge that moves the glass:

1716874520238.png

So only to the marked hinges. The first hinge moves freely.

It would be really really good if you manage to move the glass at least a couple of inches, so both bolts gets exposed and then you can remove the glass and inspect better. Actually...my advice would be to try to move the glass as said, only to remove the glass from the bolts, then you can diagnose the problem better. Dont worry, my glass is still in place and will not move during driving, even thou both of my motors are disconnected. I just cannot drive above 100mph as the wind scares me :)

Reactions: KalJoMoS
No idea about the cable, try to take a better picture of it...but I think i also see similar cable in the Tesla's service manual I posted?

About the roof...Both motors move the glass. Each on every side. And there is no way you will move the glass with motors attached, impossible. Thats why I'd disconnect them both.

Motors are attached to the cable which then hooks onto hinge that moves the glass:

View attachment 1051230

So only to the marked hinges. The first hinge moves freely.

It would be really really good if you manage to move the glass at least a couple of inches, so both bolts gets exposed and then you can remove the glass and inspect better. Actually...my advice would be to try to move the glass as said, only to remove the glass from the bolts, then you can diagnose the problem better. Dont worry, my glass is still in place and will not move during driving, even thou both of my motors are disconnected. I just cannot drive above 100mph as the wind scares me :)
really really appreciate the information. i'll get started on this project today and take some clear pictures while at it. will share the updates.

Reactions: LonelyMS
Just dig in, ita not that hard if you are at least a semi mechanic guy.

Just bear in mind. You have a v1 sunroof, right? Tesla does not sell parts for it, and you might need a second hand one if ita available at all. But maybe some parts from v2 also fits on v1?

Just dig in, ita not that hard if you are at least a semi mechanic guy.

Just bear in mind. You have a v1 sunroof, right? Tesla does not sell parts for it, and you might need a second hand one if ita available at all. But maybe some parts from v2 also fits on v1?
i started working on the project on tuesday night. removed the panels on driver side and passenger side as well as unhooked all the wires, removed the particulate filter, HEPA Filter (i was flying thru this) but while working on disconnecting the battery had to stop because i couldn't find where the "first responder loop (X536)" is since i was working at night.

Jea they are a bit conservative and play on the safe card.
ohhhhhhhhh...i was following the steps from the link you shared Model S Service Manual | Tesla ....well ill leave it where i stopped
No it's still important to open the first responder loop. If you just disconnect the battery, and the HV contactors are already closed, they will remain closed. This will keep your 12V system powered. You need to disconnect the first responder loop to totally power down the 12V.