Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Sunroof' Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all-

Been lurking around here for a while wanted to toss out my first question. Had my M3P since Dec 26th and loving it. The last couple of weeks I have been exploring tint options and have come across some varying information.

About half the shops I have contacted, seemingly all well reviewed and reputable, have told me they will not tint the glass directly above the driver and passenger due to extreme cracking risk after application- the 'sunroof'. The other half, just as well reviewed, offer to tint this glass without hesitation- thermal or not.

My question is what is the experience with this here? I'm in Los Angeles/OC and would love to have that portion ceramic tinted but am struggling with why some shops won't touch it. Any info on this greatly appreciated- thanks in advance, friends!

My local reputable shop said that Tesla told them not to tint the sunroof glass due to extreme cracking risk. If you have it tinted and it cracks, odds are low it will be covered by warranty. So you can either take the risk and have it tinted anway, or you can play it safe and leave it alone. I opted to leave it alone and install an interior sun shade instead. I'm very happy with my decision.

Reactions: jpfive
Appreciate the replies. Thinking something along the lines of what @joebruin77 mentioned above should work well. Any experience here with Sun Shield Glass Tinting in Sherman Oaks? Considering using them.

LOL...that is vendor I used. I had them install Xpel Prime XR Plus on all windows except the windfshield and small roof window. I am super happy with the tint and the quality of their installation. I highly recommend them.

Haha awesome- dumb question but is the xpel you mentioned ceramic? I'm looking for the max sun/heat rejection. If not is there a specific brand I should I ask them about?T were also the first to be adamant they wouldn't tint the 'sunroof'. Thanks a lot for the info- glad I posted here.

Haha awesome- dumb question but is the xpel you mentioned ceramic? I'm looking for the max sun/heat rejection. If not is there a specific brand I should I ask them about?T were also the first to be adamant they wouldn't tint the 'sunroof'. Thanks a lot for the info- glad I posted here.

Yes, Prime XR Plus is the top of the line, ceramic tint made by Xpel. I am very happy with the level of heat rejection. The cabin stays cooler, and I don't use the AC as much, saving wear and tear on the condenser.

Here is the data sheet for Xpel Prime XR Plus:

https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/downloads/XPEL-PRIME-Spec-Sheet-USA-V2-1.pdf

I am only aware of one other tint film that has a higher level of heat rejection and that is Prestige Films Spectra Photosync. Here is their data sheet:

http://prestige-films.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/sph_ird_digi.pdf

Even though heat rejection was the top priority for me, I still went with Xpel. The reason has to do with service and installer availability. I initially contacted Prestige Films and asked to be referred to a local installer. The dealer they referred me to was nearly 60 miles away in Brea. When I asked if they could direct me to an installer much closer to where I live, they said that was the closest authorized dealer. I was not going to drive 60 miles just to get tint that had slightly higher heat rejection.

I should also mention that I have Xpel PPF and am extremely happy with it. Given how much I like their PPF, I wanted to give Xpel tint a try. I am super happy with both.

Yes, Prime XR Plus is the top of the line, ceramic tint made by Xpel. I am very happy with the level of heat rejection. The cabin stays cooler, and I don't use the AC as much, saving wear and tear on the condenser.

Here is the data sheet for Xpel Prime XR Plus:

https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/downloads/XPEL-PRIME-Spec-Sheet-USA-V2-1.pdf

I am only aware of one other tint film that has a higher level of heat rejection and that is Prestige Films Spectra Photosync. Here is their data sheet:

http://prestige-films.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/sph_ird_digi.pdf

Even though heat rejection was the top priority for me, I still went with Xpel. The reason has to do with service and installer availability. I initially contacted Prestige Films and asked to be referred to a local installer. The dealer they referred me to was nearly 60 miles away in Brea. When I asked if they could direct me to an installer much closer to where I live, they said that was the closest authorized dealer. I was not going to drive 60 miles just to get tint that had slightly higher heat rejection.

I should also mention that I have Xpel PPF and am extremely happy with it. Given how much I like their PPF, I wanted to give Xpel tint a try. I am super happy with both.

Really great info. Hope to make my appointment tomorrow morning. Thanks a lot!

My local reputable shop said that Tesla told them not to tint the sunroof glass due to extreme cracking risk. If you have it tinted and it cracks, odds are low it will be covered by warranty. So you can either take the risk and have it tinted anway, or you can play it safe and leave it alone. I opted to leave it alone and install an interior sun shade instead. I'm very happy with my decision.

Why would the same issue not exist with the rear glass?

Reactions: bcpm3p
I see zero need for tinting the roof glass.
For me, there was a very obvious need: the sun in my eyes. I found that driving without the tint, the sun would come through the roof and distract my vision to the point of needing a hat. Once I put the tint on the roof, it was no longer a problem.

And I am sure it helps contribute to keeping my car cooler.

To me, tinting the roof was a no-brainer.

For me, there was a very obvious need: the sun in my eyes. I found that driving without the tint, the sun would come through the roof and distract my vision to the point of needing a hat. Once I put the tint on the roof, it was no longer a problem.

And I am sure it helps contribute to keeping my car cooler.

To me, tinting the roof was a no-brainer.

Agree in general and I also got my sunroof section tinted (with Xpel Prime XR ceramic) back when I took delivery of my vehicle in early August 2019. No issues of course, and I've never once felt warm/hot when driving for long periods of time in full sun.
Personally, I think the real risk for glass cracking is over-blown, but can certainly understand why some shops avoid tinting this section due to the perceived risk.

Reactions: bcpm3p