Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof Tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this topic has been covered in other threads, but I like to get the readers' opinion on window tinting.

So I recently just picked up my MY and looking to get some tinting. Like to get people's opinions on the following:

-Is there factory tint on the sunroof? If so, are people still getting that tinted?
-Should i get ceramic or regular tint? (I'm in California so summer isn't crazy hot like other parts of the country). Just curious if ceramic is worth the extra cost?
-Those with tinting, do you have issues with night driving, especially with the visibility from the smaller back window?

Thanks.

Apologies if this topic has been covered in other threads, but I like to get the readers' opinion on window tinting.

So I recently just picked up my MY and looking to get some tinting. Like to get people's opinions on the following:

-Is there factory tint on the sunroof? If so, are people still getting that tinted?
-Should i get ceramic or regular tint? (I'm in California so summer isn't crazy hot like other parts of the country). Just curious if ceramic is worth the extra cost?
-Those with tinting, do you have issues with night driving, especially with the visibility from the smaller back window?

Thanks.

I too am debating if I want to tint my sunroof as well as there had been discussion that the sunroof has tint but does not have IR reflective (which is where the heat transmits through)

Ceramic. the standard tint is just a film and down the road the standard tint will fade. ceramic does not.

tinted my cars in the past and as longs you get a reasonable % you can see at night. I would opt out to 5% in the front two windows.

Tesla states that the tinted glass roof of the Model Y, made of laminated glass, will filter UV and IR (heat). The factory roof tint is generally considered to be 5% (filters out 95% of the visible light.) Some Model Y owners have ceramic tint installed on the glass roof for additional heat rejection. If you install a 70% tint, barely noticeable, on the glass of the Model Y you get the benefit of the ceramic film's UV and IR (heat) reduction.

Before adding additional tint to the glass roof consider installing a sun shade to see if this meets your needs. The sun shade can be easily installed and later removed. These can be found on Amazon from multiple sellers, cost ~$50.

So question for the smart folks here, if I put ceramic ir tint on my windshield it will reduce heat transmission in the summer but conversely it will also make the defroster less effective at melting ice and snow in the winter right? I live in WV so snow driving will be required. Thanks.

So question for the smart folks here, if I put ceramic ir tint on my windshield it will reduce heat transmission in the summer but conversely it will also make the defroster less effective at melting ice and snow in the winter right? I live in WV so snow driving will be required. Thanks.
Yes. It will make it more challenging for snow to melt. Do not recommend if you live in snow. A good ceramic tint (Llumar formula one for instance) will block heat transmission and cause greater snow and ice build up. Learn from my experience. :(