TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sunroof Tint

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Struja, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

So, my wife asked me a question about my sunroof and I figure the brain trust here at TMC would know the answer right away.

When I first purchased my S, I was worried about the Sunroof and the sun beating down on my head. On pick up day, I almost bought the sunroof shade without even testing the car out day in and day out. I was dissuaded from purchasing the shade by my delivery person and they were 100% right.

My sunroof is one of my favourite features on the car because of how well it filters light. Which brings me to my wife's question...

She has a Lexus RX350 with a glass roof. Is the Tesla roof simply "tinted" or is there some other process which filters the light. If it is simply a matter of tinting, can any glass roof (like the one on the RX) be tinted in the same way?

On hot and sunny days, there is just no way you can drive in her car without the shade pulled to block the entire sunroof and all light simply because it is scarcely better than just being out in the sun (ie: there is almost no filtering of the sun light).
    (And if the answer is "Get an X"... trust me it is on the "honey-do" list).

2. mblakele

mblakele pre-jackpot member

It's more than just tint. The glass rejects almost all UV, which helps keep the interior cool.

• Informative x 1
  3. AllThingsFasT

AllThingsFasT Member

I had the pano roof on my S tinted with a high grade tint and it makes a world of difference. I was informed by my installer that you want a window tint that has a high IR rejection rate since IR is what generates the heat that you feel. I went with Spectra Photosync and will not settle for anything else ;)

4. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

At first I only tinted the side and rear windows. However after my first road trip I noticed that the top of my head was very warm and had the Panoramic Roof tinted as well with 3M Crystalline Ceramic heat rejecting film.