Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super charging, thump from car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Just super charging my M3 for the first time. Sitting in the car I heard and felt a thump from underneath the car. Not huge but enough to feel.
Wondering if this is something to worry about. Could it be heat expansion or some sort of thermal management kicking in?

I thought there was a service bulletin for this... the vents were to be replaced for some cars? I'd make an appt and have the virtual checkout you get a couple of days before decide if your car needs it or not. Pretty sure some cars do need to have the vent valves replaced.

Std supercharging issue of slight thermal expansion.

At a supercharger observe the kWhs of intake, lower than 70 and then change slots to one not shared and closer to the big transformer.. you want to get 100+ kWh at a supercharger if your battery level is less than 60%.

happen to have that handy?

Found on the NHTSA website. Did not find one dated for VINs in the 2019 year nor one that mentions the noise and to check the breathers. This bulletin directs them to check if their installed correctly or if they are missing and to install.

Attachments

• MC-10162294-9999.pdf
    337.3 KB · Views: 746
Last edited:
Hi,
Just super charging my M3 for the first time. Sitting in the car I heard and felt a thump from underneath the car. Not huge but enough to feel.
Wondering if this is something to worry about. Could it be heat expansion or some sort of thermal management kicking in?

Honestly if it's your first time, i bet you're just hearing the contactor for charging kicking in. This is pretty normal and always happens when the car starts charging. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the charger, i bet you'll hear the same thunk.

Nothing to be worried about at all - the thermal expansion issue is a little different and probably not what you're hearing.

2E60DE1D-9A5F-4157-9C54-3AB3BF145B34.jpeg

I was getting the same thumps today at the super charger then I got an error message that it was unable to charge and the car needs service. Car is 5 days old

View attachment 443362

I was getting the same thumps today at the super charger then I got an error message that it was unable to charge and the car needs service. Car is 5 days old

There are two different kinds of noises.
1. When the charger starts and stops this causes the contactors to open or close which makes a clicking sound.
2. When air pressure and temperature inside and outside the battery pack fluctuate you get a popping or thump noise.

I found for the superchargers in the Bay Area this error is caused by issues with the charger and not the car. Tesla can be contacted to verify this with your car's logs and if an issue is found service will take care of it.

Just got my M3 today and driving it back home. All three supercharger stops I heard this clunk. Quite scary and led me here. I see the service bulletin above but this is apparently still happening on newer models.

Thank goodness it's nothing bad... It is about 30F out where I have been driving through.

Just got my M3 today and driving it back home. All three supercharger stops I heard this clunk. Quite scary and led me here. I see the service bulletin above but this is apparently still happening on newer models.

Thank goodness it's nothing bad... It is about 30F out where I have been driving through.

And FYI, that service bulletin won’t fully stop the thud/thunk/bang/thermal expansion. It’s all normal and especially when cold and also while charging at a SuperCharger