TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Super charging, thump from car

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Rhian, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:32 AM.

1. Rhian

Rhian Member

Hi,
    Just super charging my M3 for the first time. Sitting in the car I heard and felt a thump from underneath the car. Not huge but enough to feel.
    Wondering if this is something to worry about. Could it be heat expansion or some sort of thermal management kicking in?

2. MacGreiner

Nope - thermal expansion. All normal. If you see smoke however . . .

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I thought there was a service bulletin for this... the vents were to be replaced for some cars? I'd make an appt and have the virtual checkout you get a couple of days before decide if your car needs it or not. Pretty sure some cars do need to have the vent valves replaced.

4. Thp3

Thp3 Member

Std supercharging issue of slight thermal expansion.

At a supercharger observe the kWhs of intake, lower than 70 and then change slots to one not shared and closer to the big transformer.. you want to get 100+ kWh at a supercharger if your battery level is less than 60%.

5. DirtyT3sla

DirtyT3sla Member

It's normal, but there is a service bulletin. If you contact Tesla, they'll "fix it" ...although nothing bad is happening.

6. SigNC

SigNC Member

happen to have that handy?

7. super20g

super20g Member

I contacted tesla about that a few times and they always said normal. Never mentioned there was a service bulletin and they could fix it.

• Like x 1
  8. Ckanderson

Ckanderson Member

I believe it’s brand new

• Informative x 1
  9. DirtyT3sla

DirtyT3sla Member

I'm sorry I can't find it. I saw it on reddit like last week. It specifically said something about only doing the fix if the customer mentions it/complains.

It's very new.

10. SigNC

SigNC Member

wonder what they do. Mine has always done it and I just assume it was normal due to thermal expansion

11. Dag

Dag Member

#11 Dag, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:33 AM
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:47 AM
    Found on the NHTSA website. Did not find one dated for VINs in the 2019 year nor one that mentions the noise and to check the breathers. This bulletin directs them to check if their installed correctly or if they are missing and to install.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  12. Puddles

Puddles Member

Blame the flufferbots.

• Funny x 2
  13. Dag

Dag Member

Here is the bulletin with the "thunk" sound.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
  14. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Honestly if it's your first time, i bet you're just hearing the contactor for charging kicking in. This is pretty normal and always happens when the car starts charging. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the charger, i bet you'll hear the same thunk.

Nothing to be worried about at all - the thermal expansion issue is a little different and probably not what you're hearing.

15. jordanair45

jordanair45 Member

2E60DE1D-9A5F-4157-9C54-3AB3BF145B34.jpeg

I was getting the same thumps today at the super charger then I got an error message that it was unable to charge and the car needs service. Car is 5 days old

16. Dag

Dag Member

There are two different kinds of noises.
    1. When the charger starts and stops this causes the contactors to open or close which makes a clicking sound.
    2. When air pressure and temperature inside and outside the battery pack fluctuate you get a popping or thump noise.

I found for the superchargers in the Bay Area this error is caused by issues with the charger and not the car. Tesla can be contacted to verify this with your car's logs and if an issue is found service will take care of it.

• Informative x 2