Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharge every time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it ok to supercharge from 20% to 80% lets say every 2-3 days? and nothing else in between? The reason why is because I live super close to a supercharger and it is also on my way home. Most of the time, i would stop in for a quick charge to about 240 miles because i head home. I can't tell if supercharging it everytime will degrade the battery or not. Just want to see what you expert recommends

It won't degrade the battery, because Tesla may lower the peak charge rate after a large number of DC charging sessions (no one knows how many) if necessary to prevent the battery from degrading. But have you thought about how it will degrade your life? One of the advantages of an EV is waking up to a full charge rather than having to go to a gas station to get your energy. Do yourself a favor and install a NEMA 14-50 outlet at home so you can charge overnight. Stopping to supercharge every 2-3 days, even if it is on your way home, will get old quickly.

• Love
Reactions: SigNC and kavyboy
But have you thought about how it will degrade your life? One of the advantages of an EV is waking up to a full charge rather than having to go to a gas station to get your energy. Do yourself a favor and install a NEMA 14-50 outlet at home so you can charge overnight. Stopping to supercharge every 2-3 days, even if it is on your way home, will get old quickly.
Second that. Being able to charge at home overnight is one of the great luxuries of owning an EV.

Also, given that you are in San Diego, you may often have to wait in line before you can even start to charge since the chargers in the San Diego metro area are notoriously overcrowded.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
You will get the message from the car that it is not advisable.
If possible, charging at home or at work is much better and results in a significantly better experience.
Spending 3-5 hours at a Supercharger isn't the best quality of life. Having a full tank every morning is so much better!

You will get the message from the car that it is not advisable.
Are you sure you aren’t thinking of the message that appears when the charging level remains set at 100% for 3 days in a row? I’ve supercharged 3-4 times/day for several days in a row when on long distance trips and I’ve never seen such a message, nor have I heard of one from anyone else.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I am in the same boat as the OP is, unfortunately i have to rely only on supercharging, as i currently live in apartment complex and don't have a dedicated closed garage space to charge overnight.

So coming to the question, how bad of a beating would the battery's take and how advisable is it to rely only on supercharging once every 3-4 days?

You'll be fine, plenty of data out there already shows there isn't much of a difference between batteries that get supercharged vs batteries that don't supercharge at all. It's only bad if you supercharge every day and you charge to 100% all the time. Or if you let your car run down below 20% often.

Every 2-3 days is about 2x a week, and you charge to 80%, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

this is what i am currently doing. i don't drive much (maybe 3-4 miles a day for work and maybe 20-40 on the weekends for leisure). even though i could keep it at 90% every day, i just wait for it to deplete to 15-20% (about every other week) then head to a supercharger that is 4 miles away. it's right next to raising canes, so i spend about an hour for lunch and when i get back to the car, it's at 90%. even though charging at home is easy peasy, supercharging is freebie weeblie, lol, and not even a bother. i'd rather supercharge for an hour every other week rather than plug in/out every night.