Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Arlington, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea if this a typical SC, or is there any "fast charge" elements being used yet?

Also, it appears there are no facilities in the area, such as restrooms or food... or am I missing something?

If not, this may be the most "inconvenient" SC I have come across in my limited Tesla road trip experience (Dallas - NOLA, College Station), as most have something within walking distance.

I guess I should not complain, I will probably never use it...

Any idea if this a typical SC, or is there any "fast charge" elements being used yet?

Also, it appears there are no facilities in the area, such as restrooms or food... or am I missing something?

If not, this may be the most "inconvenient" SC I have come across in my limited Tesla road trip experience (Dallas - NOLA, College Station), as most have something within walking distance.

I guess I should not complain, I will probably never use it...
You're absolutely right, there is not much nearby. I mean, there's the baseball stadium and the convention center, but they're only open during limited times and when they are open this parking lot is full. There is a hotel on the other side of the convention center, so there will be restrooms and maybe a bar/restaurant there. Excluding the hotel, the closest restaurant is just under 1/2 mile away.

Eventually they're going to build the "Texas Live!" area, but that will be between the two stadiums, making it at least 1/2 mile away, too.

As I live 4 miles from this site, I'll probably never use it (once I get my Model 3), but other than the lack of nearby amenities, it is a good location for travelers. It should be a good advertisement for Tesla, too - thousands of people will walk past this location on the way to baseball games all summer long. :)

Reactions: TXcharge and jrreno
You're absolutely right...
It should be a good advertisement for Tesla, too - thousands of people will walk past this location on the way to baseball games all summer long. :)

Definitely will be a good Tesla promo element, which may have been a priority during location selection over driver convenience given the lack of immediate local facilities, shopping, etc.

After all, it is a charging station, it's just we now have an expectation of associated conveniences to utilize during charging time

Reactions: CarlS
Definitely will be a good Tesla promo element, which may have been a priority during location selection over driver convenience given the lack of immediate local facilities, shopping, etc.

After all, it is a charging station, it's just we now have an expectation of associated conveniences to utilize during charging time

I think the conveniences are pretty significant with this location:
  1. Texas Live! is going to be built on-site. Texas Live! Arena & Convention Center in Arlington
  2. It's attached to the Arlington Convention center for events including the Concours d"Elegance this year. Home - Arlington Convention Center
  3. Six Flags, AT&T Stadium and the Ballpark are all nearby.
  4. Arlington passed self driving shuttles for the area: Self-Driving Shuttles Could Come To Arlington By May
  5. For visitors, they can use the trolley if they stay at many Arlington hotels. Transport between Arlington Hotels and local attractions by Trolley
  6. The Sheraton is across the parking lot. Arlington Hotel | Sheraton Arlington Hotel
  7. The walking trail is in front of the chargers goes for miles, great excercise.

What else do we need besides: Dining, Hotels, Entertainment, Sports, and an amusements park in an area with with trolleys and self driving shuttles :)

I think the conveniences are pretty significant with this location:
  1. Texas Live! is going to be built on-site. Texas Live! Arena & Convention Center in Arlington
  2. It's attached to the Arlington Convention center for events including the Concours d"Elegance this year. Home - Arlington Convention Center
  3. Six Flags, AT&T Stadium and the Ballpark are all nearby.
  4. Arlington passed self driving shuttles for the area: Self-Driving Shuttles Could Come To Arlington By May
  5. For visitors, they can use the trolley if they stay at many Arlington hotels. Transport between Arlington Hotels and local attractions by Trolley
  6. The Sheraton is across the parking lot. Arlington Hotel | Sheraton Arlington Hotel
  7. The walking trail is in front of the chargers goes for miles, great excercise.

What else do we need besides: Dining, Hotels, Entertainment, Sports, and an amusements park in an area with with trolleys and self driving shuttles :)

Wait a second, are you kidding???? Isn't the SC location designed for pull-in, charge, then get out to make room for another Tesla owner needing electrons?

How would you feel if you were on a long-distance trip on I-30 and needing a charge, BUT all the spots are taken by non-accompanied vehicles for hours doing all the things you mentioned, while you have to wait since you can't make it to another SC???? Pretty damn pissed-off, which would really wipe that grin-you-had-while-listing-all-these-wonderful-things right off your face.

I think your very positive, boasting, and optimistic perspective has clouded your sense of practical application.

None of those things you mentioned, other than the bathrooms in the Sheraton, should be utilized by Tesla owners needing to charge their vehicles, since 30-40 mins are the most owners need to fill up.

Honestly, makes me wonder if you own a Tesla and have a sense of what a SC is for... with all due respect.

Wait a second, are you kidding???? Isn't the SC location designed for pull-in, charge, then get out to make room for another Tesla owner needing electrons?

How would you feel if you were on a long-distance trip on I-30 and needing a charge, BUT all the spots are taken by non-accompanied vehicles for hours doing all the things you mentioned, while you have to wait since you can't make it to another SC???? Pretty damn pissed-off, which would really wipe that grin-you-had-while-listing-all-these-wonderful-things right off your face.

I think your very positive, boasting, and optimistic perspective has clouded your sense of practical application.

None of those things you mentioned, other than the bathrooms in the Sheraton, should be utilized by Tesla owners needing to charge their vehicles, since 30-40 mins are the most owners need to fill up.

Honestly, makes me wonder if you own a Tesla and have a sense of what a SC is for... with all due respect.

All are doable and practical since you get a notification where your charging level is, and when to collect your car, please be responsible. My assumption was that we were civilized, didn't binge drink, and abuse our privileges. (Use Policy) Below are practical examples you may not have considered:
  • Go to dinner, walk back to the car.
  1. It's attached to the Arlington Convention center for events including the Concours d"Elegancethis year. Home - Arlington Convention Center
  • Stop by for the kick-off Texas Classic Auction Preview & Concours d'Elegance of Texas Cocktail Reception • 7pm
    Arlington Convention Center · 1200 Ballpark Way, Arlington, Texas 76011
  1. Six Flags, AT&T Stadium and the Ballpark are all nearby.
  • Probably the least viable since many events take hours. I have lunch at the Stadium Club often, and the AT&T stadium tours are about 60 minutes. Perhaps you want to stop by the Texas Rangers gift shop and get a gift...it's usually open.
  1. Arlington passed self driving shuttles for the area: Self-Driving Shuttles Could Come To Arlington By May
  • This will help to get to a restaurant..if you don't want to walk (many cited this as an inconvenience). There are many nice restaurants very close.
  1. For visitors, they can use the trolley if they stay at many Arlington hotels. Transport between Arlington Hotels and local attractions by Trolley
  • Go to dinner while you charge, then pick up the car and drive around Dallas. Drop it off for dinner, and drive back to the hotel before you leave town.
  1. The Sheraton is across the parking lot. Arlington Hotel | Sheraton Arlington Hotel
  • It's quite nice to walk over for a beer.
  1. The walking trail is in front of the chargers goes for miles, great exercise.
  • I use the trail often. It's good to exercise.
I'm local and do these events often.

Lastly, yes, I do. Here is my garage shot taken 5 minutes ago, and I hope I will see you at the next North Texas Tesla Club meeting? Please introduce yourself...my name is Richard if I get to you first.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Yup, so why would all of the things you listed justify the location?

Remember, Tesla owners are just going there to charge, not buy a house there, or did you forget to mention the fantastic school districts???

Just admit it, that SC location is a step down from the standard and typical locations, although on the same level as the Alexandria, La one, where there is a Holiday Inn and a church.

I know that Southlake recently approved a SC location just off of 114, and even a Tesla Gallery if Tesla wants to put one there. Now a SC right next to Southlake Town Center, right by a bunch of restaurants and especially by the "Nothin Bundt Cakes" store... now that's charging in luxury and great eats

Yup, so why would all of the things you listed justify the location?

Remember, Tesla owners are just going there to charge, not buy a house there, or did you forget to mention the fantastic school districts???

I just mentioned on how to use a SC while in ARL. I assumed you felt it was an inconvenient location based on your comment "After all, it is a charging station, it's just we now have an expectation of associated conveniences to utilize during charging time". I wanted to show it was NOT void of conveniences.

Just admit it, that SC location is a step down from the standard and typical locations, although on the same level as the Alexandria, La one, where there is a Holiday Inn and a church.

Not sure where this is from..there is a Sheraton...but no church. Is that a distinguishing factor? If you are responsible, get to this SC..there are things to do, and move on when you are charged.

I know that Southlake recently approved a SC location just off of 114, and even a Tesla Gallery if Tesla wants to put one there. Now a SC right next to Southlake Town Center, right by a bunch of restaurants and especially by the "Nothin Bundt Cakes" store... now that's charging in luxury and great eats

There is a FREE Southlake charger at Southlake Town Center that I use when I'm having dinner at Snuffers. It's nice! :)

If we use the SC and move on when charged without inconveniencing anyone and we can enjoy ourselves during the wait..what is the problem?

There is a FREE Southlake charger at Southlake Town Center that I use when I'm having dinner at Snuffers. It's nice! :)

If we use the SC and move on when charged without inconveniencing anyone and we can enjoy ourselves during the wait..what is the problem?

I fail to understand why we are so far apart on this, unless you are just pulling a troll chain.

There is a big difference between a Supercharger.and the one by Snuffers (a Chargepoint charger), which is a municipality or business-supported chargers (usually to make a statement and draw in the public), whether it is a Tesla HPWC, J1772, or even a fee-based charger.

The latter are slower, may take hours to fill up and there is no expectation of availability for Tesla owners who are traveling and rely upon easy access and open spots.

In fact, a SC is similar to a gas station, right? ICE drivers don't select a gas station because it is close to fun stuff, but rather based on price, access, attached convenient store, etc...conveniences. Plus they don't fill up their tanks in 8-10 minutes, then leave their cars at the pump to go to dinner and a movie like you at Snuffers (Awesome Burgers as you know, and those cheese fries are to die for..literally)).

My point is that for most for the Tesla drivers the focus of a SC is getting a charge, taking a small break from driving, use the restrooms and get a bite to eat...then get back on the road, although some will be locals preferring to rapid charge there rather than buy a HPWC for the home, or live in an apartment, and happy to pay the charge fee.

Even ones attached to major shopping malls offer nothing outside of business hours, so nothing to do while charging but sit in car, and figure out where to find a restroom.

Either way, in my opinion your attractions don't mean much with respect to practicality and convenience for selecting a SC location, and worse, the traffic potential during an event will really make it a challenge to access, given those local roads. Unless attended, don't be surprised if non-EVs decide to park there given the parking space commodity, cause there ain't no law prohibiting that.

Peace out...

I still think you can't understand the SC concept if you don't own a Tesla.

It's getting close now. The crew was just finishing hanging the door on the enclosure while I was there. The stripes and parking blocks are in place and they've removed all of the handicap signs. They said they're planning on pouring the last concrete today. They also said they had no idea when it would be turned on. "We're just doing our part, we don't know anything about the company's plans." :)

There's still no Tesla signage and I don't know if they're done with the work on the transformer. So, it should be soon, but "soon" could have a variable definition.
IMG_20170414_083134.jpg

It's getting close now. The crew was just finishing hanging the door on the enclosure while I was there. The stripes and parking blocks are in place and they've removed all of the handicap signs. They said they're planning on pouring the last concrete today. They also said they had no idea when it would be turned on. "We're just doing our part, we don't know anything about the company's plans." :)

There's still no Tesla signage and I don't know if they're done with the work on the transformer. So, it should be soon, but "soon" could have a variable definition.
That's a very cool shot with the Cowboys stadium in the background. I look forward to seeing someone post a similar picture with their car charging.

View attachment 222759

We just missed each other, I went by this morning and they were all pretty much in the same spot :) Thanks for the updates!

IMG_0488.JPG
I've read in the past that number/letter stickers at the bottom of the pedestals and the Tesla being lit up are the last things that happen before opening. But they might still need an inspection and meter from the power company. I took this photo of the lack of meter on opening day for the Rangers, it is on the backside of the transformer facing the pond.

Thank you guys for all the updates; it has been a lot of fun watching the progress without having to drive an hour two ways just to see it in person. Looks like DFW will have its first (not counting the one in the service center) Supercharger very soon!