Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Charge Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a LR 2018 Model 3 with 38k miles on it. Due to repairs being performed on my home from a major water leak, I am living in a condo in Richmond, CA. I travel between my home in Davis and my condo in Richmond at least weekly, sometimes more often. My Tesla charger at my home is not usable as I only go to Davis to pick up mail and check on the state of repairs. The Richmond supercharger is only 1.2 miles from my condo and is my 'go to' location for a charge. Today, I tested the 50% pricing announced days ago and am happy to report I got charged half of what I would normally pay for a charge between 60 and 240 miles of range (20% - 80% charge) - $8 instead of $15~$16 normally.

I was the only one at the supercharger when I arrived at 9 AM and still the only one when I disconnected 35 minutes later. Ambient temperature was around 54 F. When I plugged in, I received the anticipated message of 25 minutes charge until 80% full. My problem is this: at 35 minutes I was still 10 miles shy of the 240 mile (80%) that my vehicle usually charges to. In my experience at superchargers, people sometimes sit in their cars reading, playing games or various other things to pass the time. I have a small dog and I take her out for a walk in a nearby park. It's good exercise for both of us. This works fine if I know I have to be back in 25 minutes but is extremely annoying when the actual charge time exceeds that by 15 minutes. I have read about the temperature variance and preconditioning, etc. but I have now had to resort to supercharging stations for just under a year (several between Richmond and Davis) and find that half of the time the anticipated completion time is accurate and half of the time it is off considerably. When one has to be back within 5 minutes or start getting charged for parking, this can get annoying. Periodically checking the state of charge on my cell phone offers no comfort as my walk with the dog is either timed to 25 minutes or to 40 minutes and there appears to be no consistency that I have found in the accuracy of timing to return to my vehicle. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
If you are getting close to finish charge and the 5 minute overtime mark, you could reset the charge level from the app (like 80% to 90%) and this should get you another 15 minutes or so to get back to the car. Sorry, cant help on reason for inconsistency.

I have a LR 2018 Model 3 with 38k miles on it. Due to repairs being performed on my home from a major water leak, I am living in a condo in Richmond, CA. I travel between my home in Davis and my condo in Richmond at least weekly, sometimes more often. My Tesla charger at my home is not usable as I only go to Davis to pick up mail and check on the state of repairs. The Richmond supercharger is only 1.2 miles from my condo and is my 'go to' location for a charge. Today, I tested the 50% pricing announced days ago and am happy to report I got charged half of what I would normally pay for a charge between 60 and 240 miles of range (20% - 80% charge) - $8 instead of $15~$16 normally.

I was the only one at the supercharger when I arrived at 9 AM and still the only one when I disconnected 35 minutes later. Ambient temperature was around 54 F. When I plugged in, I received the anticipated message of 25 minutes charge until 80% full. My problem is this: at 35 minutes I was still 10 miles shy of the 240 mile (80%) that my vehicle usually charges to. In my experience at superchargers, people sometimes sit in their cars reading, playing games or various other things to pass the time. I have a small dog and I take her out for a walk in a nearby park. It's good exercise for both of us. This works fine if I know I have to be back in 25 minutes but is extremely annoying when the actual charge time exceeds that by 15 minutes. I have read about the temperature variance and preconditioning, etc. but I have now had to resort to supercharging stations for just under a year (several between Richmond and Davis) and find that half of the time the anticipated completion time is accurate and half of the time it is off considerably. When one has to be back within 5 minutes or start getting charged for parking, this can get annoying. Periodically checking the state of charge on my cell phone offers no comfort as my walk with the dog is either timed to 25 minutes or to 40 minutes and there appears to be no consistency that I have found in the accuracy of timing to return to my vehicle. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
The supercharging times are calculated with a preconditioned battery. Being only like a minute away from a supercharger, your battery simply wasn't preconditioned and was cold. No mysteries here.