Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTH? Taking ~1.5hr 35-80%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK,

So I sorta assumed the folks in Chicago were somewhat being whiner babies, but after this AM I think I need to take it back…

I left Maryland this AM at 4:00 with the battery 100% charged and the ambient temperature of the car in my garage being 58°.

To be expected, I said, waypoint to chargers along my route to my destination in New Jersey.

The car had an hour to warm the battery for supercharging, knowing that I was hitting a supercharger in Delaware.

I saw that it warmed the battery barely 2 times; by barely I mean it gave me notification two times that it was warming the battery for about five minutes each time.

Now,it expects me to stay here for two hours to charge the battery even though it’s been warming the battery for an hour. it is still above freezing here at around 40°.

What in the world is going on for reference? I’m one of two people at a 12 car charger.

I am not sure if this can be an explanation, but the pre-heating will not be activated when the state of charge is 20% or below.

Also I believe, from personal experience, that the pre-heating is activated only when the supercharger is the itinerary's final destination, not a way-point.
Preconditioning the battery for supercharging occurs for each supercharger stop on the planned route.

Thanks for the feedback.

I’ve had it precondition when the SC is part of the trip destination list. (Drive to Boston a few times a year…)

As such, this is a certain oddity… Every other SC stop had preconditioned properly.

When I arrived at Delaware I had 35%, so that’s not it.

I’m thinking Tesla has an issue of some sort with the firmware / software. It’s extremely bad news to have the preconditioning routine NOT actually precondition because it’s turning off and on in very short intervals that doesn’t actually precondition the battery.

Reactions: RNHurt
Did you try a different charger/stall at your stop? Always worth a shot when you're charging that slow.
So eventually, I got annoyed and went to the next supercharger up 95 in New Jersey.… simply added from the screen as part of the trip.

Charged in about 20 minutes to 85% from roughly 45%.

Without a doubt, the preconditioning messages that were being displayed for brief periods of time weren’t the car actually staying in precondition mode.

Reactions: RNHurt
You need to pick the supercharger in the navigation map for precondition to happen. Navigating to the same address will not work. Did you pick it in the map after turning the display of superchargers on?
That was never an issue… I always selected the superchargers from actual supercharger icons on the map that got added directly to the trip route.

Subsequent additions of superchargers would yield preconditioning notifications on the screen.

Absolutely something screwed up with Tesla and the manner in which preconditioning was designated for the earliest part of my trip. It did tell me two times once before Baltimore and once after Baltimore that it was preconditioning the battery… but clearly that did not happen. Otherwise, it wouldn’t of tried to keep me there for almost 2 hours, barely charging the battery.

Reactions: GtiMart
Thanks for the feedback.

I’ve had it precondition when the SC is part of the trip destination list. (Drive to Boston a few times a year…)

As such, this is a certain oddity… Every other SC stop had preconditioned properly.

When I arrived at Delaware I had 35%, so that’s not it.

I’m thinking Tesla has an issue of some sort with the firmware / software. It’s extremely bad news to have the preconditioning routine NOT actually precondition because it’s turning off and on in very short intervals that doesn’t actually precondition the battery.

Which Supercharger?

So you didn't try a different stall at the Delaware SC... you unplugged and drove to NJ where the SC worked fine?
That’s correct…. Usually, if there’s a problem, it tells you In the car. What I normally do is I check the pins on the plug, if it’s not obstructed or doesn’t have pieces from the prior car is charging receptacle stuck in it, I then plugged it in the car.

Those old V2 sites often have problems getting stuck in shared mode (limited to 72 kW) and/or have bad chargers in the cabinet. The car will not tell you when the charging power is limited due to a problem with the Supercharger.

When you experience slower than expected charging, it's best to move to a different stall. More often than not, this will resolve the issue.

Those old V2 sites often have problems getting stuck in shared mode (limited to 72 kW) and/or have bad chargers in the cabinet. The car will not tell you when the charging power is limited due to a problem with the Supercharger.

When you experience slower than expected charging, it's best to move to a different stall. More often than not, this will resolve the issue.

This. I've always wondered when our old S85 doesn't get optimal Supercharging rates whether it's my car not optimally conditioned, my car's hardware, software, Supercharger stall, or Supercharger site. Would love to see a message on the MCU or IC stating probable reasons why the rate is less than optimal...like stall 3B experiencing slower rates; will not charge about 74kW, or battery has not reached optimal temperature, etc.

On a road-trip last month I experienced a suboptimal charging stall at Tejon Ranch, Ca. I pulled into the site that was less than 10% occupied and when to a stall that had no one sharing the power distribution with a SOC% below 12 and peaked at 74kW. I scratched my head and moved to a different stall across the lot and got 124kW.

The car now displays a message if the reason is that your battery isn't warm enough. I've at least seen it on 3 and Y so I presume it applies to S and X too... If you don't get this message that's not the reason.

You need to know your charging curve to know if you are getting optimal for the current SOC or if the charger is limiting. You can find that on the internet. Depends on your car model and the battery model in your car.

You also need to know the maximum theoretical power of the charger you're connected to. V2 supercharger = 150kW, down to 72kW if sharing.

On CHAdeMO, 50kW theoretical max but voltage will bring that down as it's maxed by amps so it's common to see 43kW.

CCS will depend on the charger. They advertise a huge kW number but that's for 1000V. Since our cars are 350-400V we get lower than that. Then some have cables that limit amps to 200 or 300... It's thus more difficult to understand the real theoretical maximum on those chargers for our cars.

I would LOVE it if Tesla would show the charger's provided power and the car's requested power, things like that. I believe other makes have started to show this type of information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Park Sloped
At this point, I’m going to assume that the issue was actually that the charger was the problem…. Next time Ill move to another stall.
If you had a cold battery when you connected, the low initial charge rate might give you an excessive charge time estimate. But, as the battery heats up, that estimate should quickly reduce to a more reasonable time. Since you did have the car precondition, a bad stall is the likely problem.