Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Coalinga, CA (LIVE 15 Dec 2022, 80 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not me…. a friend threw their numbers at me.

173,000 miles… / 33mpg = 5,242 gallons

X $3.19 = $16,722. …… that’s with inexpensive gas and good gas mileage.

Massage your real world numbers and …… your mileage may vary.

My real world numbers crunch out at a much greater dollar value. I have free supercharging (I use mostly for long road trips) and that —- was huge in my decision to go electric. Ten plus years of electric driving—- it’s proving to have been an excellent deci$ion. My home electric bill in Phoenix east valley AZ runs about $500/year. That’s car, twin hvac units, pool pumps (waterfall) and all the other normal life electric needs.

…… but that’s why we each need to compute what works for us.

Not me…. a friend threw their numbers at me.

173,000 miles… / 33mpg = 5,242 gallons

X $3.19 = $16,722. …… that’s with inexpensive gas and good gas mileage.

Massage your real world numbers and …… your mileage may vary.

My real world numbers crunch out at a much greater dollar value. I have free supercharging (I use mostly for long road trips) and that —- was huge in my decision to go electric. Ten plus years of electric driving—- it’s proving to have been an excellent deci$ion. My home electric bill in Phoenix east valley AZ runs about $500/year. That’s car, twin hvac units, pool pumps (waterfall) and all the other normal life electric needs.

…… but that’s why we each need to compute what works for us.
That’s hard to believe, I paid more than that when I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment, albeit it’s California, but still.

I have (as you see below) a Jeep for snow, an Insight for towing behind another vehicle, and a mini-RV and a maxi-RV. The mini get's 18 MPG and was my daily driver for a while and could be towed by the maxi (or a CyberTruck). Heck, I could tow the Insight with the Jeep, the Jeep behind the mini and the mini behind the maxi. It's a perfect collection, when I move across the country I'll have to try making a train of it. What could go wrong? Best watch engine temps in my rear engine Airstream as they are known to catch fire under load.

Reactions: Tyl
It's why you see so many EVs here in California, not to mention solar. Really feel bad for those who can't afford electric, we are riding on their financial contributions..
Randy, I think there’s very few who truly can’t afford EVs in California, especially considering the used car market. The reality is that many are still choosing to go with gas cars by choice. I‘ve known quite a few this year including family members who bought a gas car even considering that an EV would’ve been the perfect car for their needs (i.e. they bought new or recent Corolla, Camry, CRV, etc). I just don’t see myself as the EV salesman and hate to insert myself where I’m not wanted. These same people see I have Teslas and have road tripped everywhere with them and in the past they’ve asked me curious questions here and there about my cars but I’m sure in the end they listened to others‘ misinformed advice.

I used to have a lot of pity for lower income families and high gas prices but that pity is slowly being eroded away if they’re make a conscious choice to drive that based on bad advice from well intended friends and families.

Anyway, the last hurrah in this thread before the ”off topic” scolding!