Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - El Cerrito, CA (LIVE 3 Jul 2020, 14 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New updates:
  • Charging Stations are now installed
  • Cabinets are in Place
  • Transformer is not installed
  • This location covers 14 stalls and they are all Urban Chargers

IMG_0758.jpeg IMG_0756.jpeg IMG_0757.jpeg IMG_0759.jpeg

Wow! Way to follow up @PedramGh, I thought they usually set up the electrical boxes first. Could be the difference between Urban and the other Superchargers. If the electrics are hooked up and just still wrapped to protect from weather and all that is missing is the transformer than they caught up to the year-old Emeryville install in a week!

All that dirt, guess they still need to pave around the new stanchions before they bring down the fence too. No stanchions isn't a good word, they aren't the Supercharger, just the place you hang the plug. Whatever they are called...

All that dirt, guess they still need to pave around the new stanchions before they bring down the fence too. No stanchions isn't a good word, they aren't the Supercharger, just the place you hang the plug. Whatever they are called...

Pedestal is the term I’ve seen most often, although to me that implies that you’re setting something on top of it, so ... ??? ...

Bruce.

The should’ve put the stalls behind the curbs for the cable to into the next parking space. I’m already getting the feeling that some people are going to have a hard time plugging in

This looked scary at first for me as well. However, I tried to reverse park to see how hard it is, and it was pretty easy. However, I believe that there should be a barrier on the other side to protect the chargers. I think the plugs easily reach the charging port.

Last edited:
That is an unusual Supercharger layout. I have never seen a Supercharger site with angled stalls in CA, WA, OR, NV, ID, MT, AZ, NM, or British Columbia. Of course I have not been to every location in all those states. I think it will work just fine considering all Teslas have good backup cameras with the lines displayed showing where the track of the car is headed.
Updates on El Cerrito Urban Charger:
  • Signs are installed
  • Lamp Posts are delivered but not installed yet
  • Fencing is removed

View attachment 531514

Last edited:
That is an unusual Supercharger layout. I have never seen a Supercharger site with angled stalls in CA, WA, OR, NV, ID, MT, AZ, NM, or British Columbia. Of course I have not been to every location in all those states. I think it will work just fine considering all Teslas have good backup cameras with the lines displayed showing where the track of the car is headed.

Westminster and one of the Sacramento Area Superchargers have back in angled spaces. I think that part will be OK, but I’m more wondering about people trying to use the pedestals from the wrong side.

Bruce.

Westminster and one of the Sacramento Area Superchargers have back in angled spaces. I think that part will be OK, but I’m more wondering about people trying to use the pedestals from the wrong side.

Bruce.
I have seen this happening recently. Some superchargers are having signs for EV Charging only but some others read EV Charging preferred. Also I believe those three separated super charging stations in Berkeley as well as this specific supercharger have been designed this way so if someone ices the spot, people can still charge from behind the charger.

Also I believe those three separated super charging stations in Berkeley as well as this specific supercharger have been designed this way so if someone ices the spot, people can still charge from behind the charger.
I reviewed this thread and see that in post #2 Randy included a satellite view of this location and the entire parking lot has angled spaces. So the angled spaces is not a design decision by Tesla, they are simply conforming to the overall design of the lot.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
I just stopped by today and the chargers seem ready, but the plugs are still wrapped.

Interesting is the sign explaining how to park backward in an angled space.

20200418_150709 Sign.jpg

Note: I'm sure that people will be tempted to enter from the wrong side thinking that this parking area is a two way traffic lane entrance.

20200418_150709 Map .jpg

I just stopped by today and the chargers seem ready, but the plugs are still wrapped.

Interesting is the sign explaining how to park backward in an angled space.

View attachment 533886

Note: I'm sure that people will be tempted to enter from the wrong side thinking that this parking area is a two way traffic lane entrance.

View attachment 533887

Yes. The direction of the cars parking in that space has been changed to make reverse parking easier. It also prevents advertising empty charging spots for non Tesla drivers looking for parking. Speaking from experience, that area is less busy and in general parking is not a problem in El Cerrito Plaza.