Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jersey City, NJ - Mall Drive West

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, Unless you live at the Oakman I can't see any reason why the 1st St chargers would be attractive. As I understand it the garage is:

1) Expensive
2) Valet and stacked
3) Tight

Am I missing something? Less than a 1/2 mile away is Newport Center Mall. It is also pay for parking but appears to be about half the price or less and has 20 stalls right on the first floor where you park yourself like a normal SC charge station (See my pics above)...cost me $1.50 for an hour of parking. Even though Newport Center does not yet show up on my console, it is open and ready to roll. Seems to me based on these threads and the pics that 1st street is too little, too late. I have never seen such a crowded, inaccessible SC point. BTW, I have nothing to do with either location but if you are not familiar with Jersey City, trust me, you want to go to Newport. Thoughts?

Agreed. Most of this thread was before Newport was operational, then Oakman came online, but a week or two later, Newport became operational so I agree with you, I'd never go to Oakman now that Newport is open. In my eyes, Oakman has zero advantages over Newport unless you live there

Reactions: GreenMachina
Me so happy!! :)
9D9B0E71-2DB0-4117-ACB8-3049E20DFAAA.jpeg

Personally, Unless you live at the Oakman I can't see any reason why the 1st St chargers would be attractive. As I understand it the garage is:

1) Expensive
2) Valet and stacked
3) Tight

Am I missing something? Less than a 1/2 mile away is Newport Center Mall. It is also pay for parking but appears to be about half the price or less and has 20 stalls right on the first floor where you park yourself like a normal SC charge station (See my pics above)...cost me $1.50 for an hour of parking. Even though Newport Center does not yet show up on my console, it is open and ready to roll. Seems to me based on these threads and the pics that 1st street is too little, too late. I have never seen such a crowded, inaccessible SC point. BTW, I have nothing to do with either location but if you are not familiar with Jersey City, trust me, you want to go to Newport. Thoughts?

100% agreed. I live next door to The Oakman and I don't plan on ever using those chargers. :eek:

The driveway to get in is tight, the parking is stacked and super tight. And, you have to pay a lot of money. As you correctly point out, the drive from 1st St to the mall superchargers is exactly half a mile. And, at the mall you have the option to at least walk around and get stuff done while your car charges.

100% agreed. I live next door to The Oakman and I don't plan on ever using those chargers. :eek:

The driveway to get in is tight, the parking is stacked and super tight. And, you have to pay a lot of money. As you correctly point out, the drive from 1st St to the mall superchargers is exactly half a mile. And, at the mall you have the option to at least walk around and get stuff done while your car charges.

bodhipooh, if you live next door to the Oakman, and are looking for long term parking, there is a good tesla charging set up at the parking at the Morgan. (3 chargers, I've never once seen all utilized at the same time) Its where I park/charge my tesla.

We may need to stop at the Newport Centre SC on our way to Manhattan next week. We're likely to get their after the mall is closed (~10pm). Anything open around that time especially with bathrooms or do we need to swing by one of the gas stations near the Holland tunnel entrance? thanks

We may need to stop at the Newport Centre SC on our way to Manhattan next week. We're likely to get their after the mall is closed (~10pm). Anything open around that time especially with bathrooms or do we need to swing by one of the gas stations near the Holland tunnel entrance? thanks

There is a Zinburger Burger/Wine and a Cheesecake factory that operate beyond normal shopping hours. Cheescake closes 12;30 AM on Fri & Sat, Zin closes 11PM Fri-Sat

Reactions: trmmcd and pakman00
Soo much ICEing there. I was there today there were 3+ SUV parked at the chargers.
We were there near closing so it wasn't crowded but did have a chuckle seeing a model S parked at the EVSE charger spots closer to the mall while all the supercharger spots were wide open. Couldn't tell if it was plugged in.

Convenient location for topping up before heading into Manhattan as we were planning to leave the car parked for an extended weekend.

BTW, tried to supercharge last week, and only got about 40 miles over a 2hr period. I called Tesla to confirm there was an issue with the stations and not my X and they confirmed they had gotten reports of load problems a week or two before, and that they do not have an ETA on when this problem will be fixed. Very annoying, as that is my go-to spot for charging since it is a 10-minute walk from home. I am about to go try again later today, so I will report back with current status. Unfortunately, I am sure this is low priority to PSE&G.

Unfortunately the location is still experiencing problems with energy loads. Definitely plan ahead and don't show up expecting to be able to supercharge here. With the car completely turned off, I was only able to gain about 40 miles over a 2hr period. A true shame, since this location is a short walk from home.

The charge rate is definitely WAY below their normal, regular 72 kW. It is not an issue with a stall or two. All of them are affected. Personally, I only tested three stalls (out of twenty) but a call to Tesla confirmed they are having load problems at the location and they do NOT have an ETA on when the problem will be fixed. They are at the mercy of PSE&G, which I suspect does not feel this is a priority. I ended up using the supercharger at The Oakman (160 1st Street) but be prepared to shell out $7 for one hour (or, $9 for two hours) which sucks in comparison to the $1.50 charge at Newport Centre.

The charge rate is definitely WAY below their normal, regular 72 kW. It is not an issue with a stall or two. All of them are affected. Personally, I only tested three stalls (out of twenty) but a call to Tesla confirmed they are having load problems at the location and they do NOT have an ETA on when the problem will be fixed. They are at the mercy of PSE&G, which I suspect does not feel this is a priority. I ended up using the supercharger at The Oakman (160 1st Street) but be prepared to shell out $7 for one hour (or, $9 for two hours) which sucks in comparison to the $1.50 charge at Newport Centre.

That really sucks, it's been nothing but nonstop issues with this location even before they were operational. Thanks for keeping us posted, I was going to charge there this weekend but now I know it'd be a waste of time/money.

Turns out there is another thread discussing the same problem. Link: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...-effectively-down-other-viable-option.116828/

This location being down can be problematic for people who may show up running very low and expecting to supercharge while taking a break at the mall. Also, lots of Tesla owners from NYC actually come here to supercharge because, even after accounting for the ~$15 tunnel toll, it is much cheaper than paying the exorbitant parking fees of Manhattan. I hope they get it sorted out soon, but it's been weeks already.