TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Jersey City Supercharger Effectively Down-Other Viable Option

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by trmmcd, Jun 1, 2018.

1. trmmcd

trmmcd Member

The Jersey City Newport Mall Supercharger was effectively down today. I was traveling from Boston to Hoboken and was counting on this SC location to “re-fuel”. 20 urban chargers and none able to deliver more than a trickle charge due to some power supply issue. In fairness, when I got close to using the location I looked on-line and it warned of reduced service. This is a big deal because there are almost no “low” parking fee SCs in the immediate vicinity of Hoboken.

The option was the 1st street valet garage. I had read previous concerns about this location, but with only about 20 miles left and not any other real choice I went ahead and I was pleasantly surprised. $16 for up to 12 hours and a very nice valet attendant who charged the car. The garage is tight with SCs packed in among car lift parking, but there was no real issue. They have obviously parked quite a few Tesla’s in these tight quarters.

While still at the Newport charger I called Tesla and they confirmed that this was a site issue rather than a specific charger. They did not have an ETA for resolution.

2. itzSamit

itzSamit Member

Wow - thats a bummer - it is a go to site for me for charging since it opened - surprising that its down in few months of being operational.. let's hope the issue is resolved quickly - fingers crossed.

3. trmmcd

trmmcd Member

This site was still down today. I am headed back to Boston so I a more all set for now, but I am worried that such a significant site can be down for so long. I have also learned that “reduced service” might actually mean completely unuseable.

4. allen565

allen565 Member

Indeed, this is a sad situation. I live in Jersey City and have been using this SC since before it officially opened. It has now been down for a couple WEEKS and support has not been able to tell me what the issues is or when (if) it will get resolved. As I recall, the SCs were installed a month or more before they were "fired up" and the explanation at the time was that there were issues with the power company. From the above posts it sounds like that may be the case again. Since this is New Jersey, it could be the right politicians weren't properly bribed :)

5. bodhipooh

bodhipooh Member

Yup.... a real problem, to be honest. I have been posting about it since I first experienced it almost two weeks ago. It really sucks, as Tesla Support has no information on an ETA and, given the history of PSE&G, I doubt we will see this resolved any time soon. As allen565 indicates, this location took a long time to come online due to delays by PSE&G (it was, in fact, much longer than a month) and the closest location will cost you $7 for an hour, or $9 for two, and it is a CRAZY TIGHT space.

Other Newport SC thread: Possible location for the Jersy city supercharger

6. TheU

TheU Member

Was driving around NYC last night and noticed that about 50% of the superchargers were being used and the reduced service notice had been taken from tesla maps. Not confirming its working again but could be...

7. allen565

allen565 Member

I saw the same thing on my map this morning....that half the chargers were "in use". My guess is that maybe they only got 10 of the 20 back up and running giving a false positive on usage. I will stop by tomorrow, check it out, take some pics and post what I find.

8. allen565

allen565 Member

So I went by this morning and the charger I was plugged into was working fine. The car map indicated that 8 of the 20 stall were in use, but when I got there I was the only one and had a full power charge. When I left it was my X and a Model S and the map indicated that 9 stalls were in use. I didn't test any of the other stalls (I was plugged into the first) but there was no indication of any problem and a topped off in no time. I hope this helps!! IMG_1804.jpg IMG_1805.jpg

9. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

There has been an issue recently with the map over-reporting how many cars are charging at Supercharger sites. I've seen this mentioned in several threads in the past two weeks.

• Like x 1
  10. trmmcd

trmmcd Member

Thanks for checking it out. It sounds like it is working again but the usage reporting is off. Every time I have used that site there have only been one or two cars there but I imagine that will change once the Model 3 deliveries really get rolling.

11. mgeneczko

mgeneczko Member

Just got my email that I can design my model 3, anyone charge here yet with a 3 and can give an info pricing with parking fee and charge?

12. trmmcd

trmmcd Member

Not sure of the charge cost but the parking fee is reasonable - something like 75 cents an hour.

13. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Supercharger pricing can be found here (by state): Supercharging

14. HopeToGolf

HopeToGolf Member

Does anyone know if one can enter and exit after hours at this garage? I will be traveling and likely to arrive near midnight. I’m hoping to grab a charge then head to a hotel. Alternatively, I may head there before my day starts roughly 7 AM and charge then. Thanks.

15. itzSamit

itzSamit Member

Yes you should be able to enter-exit Newport Mall parking garaga anytime.. the garage uses automated machines for entry and exit

16. HopeToGolf

HopeToGolf Member

The experience was flawless. The supercharges are right near the entrance. I got there at about midnight...charged for a few then was on my way.