Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

supercharger "no charge" in my account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
i just finished a 4000 mile or so road trip in my 3, and i'm getting ready to submit my supercharge expenses for reimbursement from my company...and i noticed that last weekend, at the amarillo supercharger, it says "no charge" (and shows 32kwh @ 0.00). has anyone seen anything like this? any idea what happened?

i just finished a 4000 mile or so road trip in my 3, and i'm getting ready to submit my supercharge expenses for reimbursement from my company...and i noticed that last weekend, at the amarillo supercharger, it says "no charge" (and shows 32kwh @ 0.00). has anyone seen anything like this? any idea what happened?

In general, you should be paid for the miles, not actual charging expenses (unless the company owns the car).

In general, you should be paid for the miles, not actual charging expenses (unless the company owns the car).

meh. i'm just submitting what they asked me to submit (which is the same way they reimbursed me last year when i did the same drive in my ICE car). i wouldn't expect them to pay me $2000 for the 3000 or so round trip. yes, i get depreciation and all that...but i'm fine with being reimbursed just for the actual expenses since we did do some sightseeing along the way.

meh. i'm just submitting what they asked me to submit (which is the same way they reimbursed me last year when i did the same drive in my ICE car). i wouldn't expect them to pay me $2000 for the 3000 or so round trip. yes, i get depreciation and all that...but i'm fine with being reimbursed just for the actual expenses since we did do some sightseeing along the way.

Yeah, do what you need to do. But they are really getting a good deal out of you. This is pretty well enshrined in tax/employment law.

The per mile IRS set amount is to cover gas, tires, maintenance, depreciation, insurance, etc...

Especially in a battery electric vehicle, the actual power costs are a tiny fraction of that overall cost.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
in the end, they're helping me both avoid getting on a plane (which I hate) and see parts of the country I'd never see otherwise. if I were driving by myself strictly for work, I'd hold out for the per mile...but my wife (and sometimes dogs) come along and we use the trip there and back as a mini vacation. I'm ok with it.

I would take the small amount back from your company then write off the entire trip on your own personal taxes. Just make sure they aren't trying to write off the same miles you are. I have an agreement with my company that they will either get me a rental car or I'll just write off the miles on my own.

My company actually requires me to rent a car rather than pay out the reimbursement. Our negotiated rental rates at Enterprise are like $37 a day. A Trip needs to be pretty short for the mileage reimbursement to be cheaper.