Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger not charging to set limit

Michelle_eriw

Jun 9, 2020
USA
I have the M3 LR set to charge to 85%. While charging at a Supercharger today, I got an alert that the car was charged to 80%, and the 5-minute grace period was starting.

Could this shortfall be because all eight Superchargers were in use?

If it matters, the nav system had no destination set, so the car and Supercharger didn't know how far I would be driving.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California

Yes. There will be an alert message on the screen when you plug in informing you that you’re at a “high usage supercharger station” and your charge limit has been set to 80%.

You can override that by changing the limit back to whatever you want it to be after you plug in.

s33t33

Aug 25, 2020
Wi
The charge rate drops off after 80% anyway (to protect your battery), so unless you really need your car to hit 100% so you can reach your next SC destination, then the charge rate vs time you will be stuck at the SC isn't beneficial to you or others waiting behind you (if the SC is busy)

Reactions: toolman335

Michelle_eriw

Jun 9, 2020
USA
The charge rate drops off after 80% anyway (to protect your battery), so unless you really need your car to hit 100% so you can reach your next SC destination, then the charge rate vs time you will be stuck at the SC isn't beneficial to you or others waiting behind you (if the SC is busy)
It wasn't a matter of 80% vs 100%, but rather 80% vs 85%.

Michelle_eriw

Jun 9, 2020
USA
120320128_10158845637733151_1049231455339876112_n.jpg

Gasaraki

Oct 21, 2019
Syracuse, NY
I have the M3 LR set to charge to 85%. While charging at a Supercharger today, I got an alert that the car was charged to 80%, and the 5-minute grace period was starting.

If it matters, the nav system had no destination set, so the car and Supercharger didn't know how far I would be driving.

Yes... It tells you. Charge is limited to 80% due to high usage... bla bla bla. If you needed to travel someplace far where you need more charge, it says you can go change it....

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC