Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Parachute, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some additional observations:

Very close, and easy to get to, from I-70; this is a good location for a Supercharger Station.

There is a restaurant on the right side of the convenience store and a Domino's Pizza on the left side.

Free WiFi at Domino's is accessible within about twenty feet of the building.

The Supercharger stalls are located at the far side of the lot, so ICEing is unlikely to be a problem.

There is a carwash located onsite.
Some good info...thanks....cant wait to try it out.

All Parachute superchargers were down when I arrived at 3:30pm Oct 6. Tesla support had no idea why or when they might be back up. Local slow charger nearby was also broken. Coasted on sparks into Colorado Mountain College in Rifle to get enough juice to make it to Glenwood Springs. Almost a serious problem.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
All Parachute superchargers were down when I arrived at 3:30pm Oct 6. Tesla support had no idea why or when they might be back up. Local slow charger nearby was also broken. Coasted on sparks into Colorado Mountain College in Rifle to get enough juice to make it to Glenwood Springs. Almost a serious problem.
That sucks. We have been seeing this more often lately on brand new superchargers… Not too long after they go live, something crashes or breaks. :(

We just stopped here after the car sent us to it on the way back east from green river. Rolled up and saw the cabinets open and Tesla service working on them. One walked up as we backed into a stall and told us to use one of the four most eastern stalls, it works but the car nav says three stalls total work so certainly degraded service here but they’re on it.

The Superchargers in Parachute are really offline. There's a guy spreading rocks with a rake but no other work happening. Maybe they shut them off in case he rakes too vigorously? ;)
IMG_20221021_172634_720.jpg

I spoke with a Tesla tech recently at a Supercharger in California. He is the "maintenance" guy. He has a rather large territory that encompasses about 25 Supercharger sites. He said all he does is maintenance, switching out various components inside the locked boxes. He said that there is also the "hot" team that responds quickly when one or more stalls are down due to broken parts or damaged components.

I commented that frequently new V3 Superchargers are temporarily closed soon after opening. His response was that it was on the utility side of things. Tesla cannot control the power that feeds the transformer which is then routed into the magic box.

I know nothing about electrical engineering. I do know that the car has software to detect irregularities in charging currents. This software either reduces the current or shuts off charging completely. I think that it is entirely plausible that the guts of the Supercharger has similar software that detects power surges or other potentially deleterious effects coming from the transformer. When a potential issue is detected, the Supercharger shuts down. The utility is then notified that there is a problem with their feed.

Or I could be 100% wrong!

Nav says Parachute has been closed again yesterday and today.

As best I can tell, the power company for Parachute is Public Service of Colorado, as opposed to the rural co-ops that serve most of us here. Perhaps they have problems with the feed to the Supercharger site and are not as responsive as the little co-ops.