Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Port St. Lucie, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, they ran the conduit for all 8 stalls, but only installed the above ground charging posts for 6 of them. The other two are pre-run to support an eventual expansion to the full 8 stalls at some time in the future when the usage is high enough to really need the additional stalls.

While I appreciate the expansion, I don't understand the logic here. Why "pre-run" the final two just to come back and do it later?

While I appreciate the expansion, I don't understand the logic here. Why "pre-run" the final two just to come back and do it later?
Caveat: I don't know that that is what they did here. But in other locations where they have pre-run the underground infrastructure for future expansions there are a couple of reasons why they would choose to do so. In some locations, their leasing agreement with the property owner has a staged structure where they get access to fewer stalls initially and then once the station meets some pre-defined usage rate trigger, they can add more stalls. The usage triggers are usually of the form X number of unique charging sessions per month for Y consecutive months. Additionally, it is better and more cost effective to have fewer stalls that are therefore full more often, so there's a cost benefit to not over-sizing the station. However, Tesla knows based on regional sales, existing ownership, and travel patterns that for some locations they will want to expand eventually and it is cheaper to do the undergound work all at once instead of in stages.

Caveat: I don't know that that is what they did here. But in other locations where they have pre-run the underground infrastructure for future expansions there are a couple of reasons why they would choose to do so. In some locations, their leasing agreement with the property owner has a staged structure where they get access to fewer stalls initially and then once the station meets some pre-defined usage rate trigger, they can add more stalls. The usage triggers are usually of the form X number of unique charging sessions per month for Y consecutive months. Additionally, it is better and more cost effective to have fewer stalls that are therefore full more often, so there's a cost benefit to not over-sizing the station. However, Tesla knows based on regional sales, existing ownership, and travel patterns that for some locations they will want to expand eventually and it is cheaper to do the undergound work all at once instead of in stages.

Cool, I've never thought about it that way before. I've only considered more stalls = more availability = more power. Thinking about achieving specific metrics, it would help for us to charge here when stalls are unused to meet these metrics then?

Well, there is no need to speculate further. One of our club members provided me some new photos.

Check our updated article. There are two more charging terminals going in next to the original location and four more version 2 Supercharger cabinets to power them plus the additional 6 in front of the paint store.

Port St. Lucie Supercharger undergoing an expansion (Public)

Those are definitely version 2 Supercharger cabinets.

Larry

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bobbo8 and mociaf9
Well, there is no need to speculate further. One of our club members provided me some new photos.

Check our updated article. There are two more charging terminals going in next to the original location and four more version 2 Supercharger cabinets to power them plus the additional 6 in front of the paint store.

Those are definitely version 2 Supercharger cabinets.

Larry
I apologize for inadvertently providing misleading information. Back in 2013 Tesla installed 4 version 2 Superchargers and put an enclosure around them. When I received a photo of 4 version 2 Superchargers out in the open I erroneously assumed that they were newly installed. I just received new photos of the installation and what is now apparent is that Tesla removed the enclosure from around the existing Superchargers and switchgear. There are no additional Supercharger cabinets on site yet.

So, it is possible that the expansion could still be version 3. If Tesla installs two more charging terminals at the original location to go with the 6 terminals in front of the paint store, then that could be handled with either 4 more version 2 Superchargers or 2 more version 3 Superchargers.

I've updated our article.

Larry

Not sure if this is new news or not...

Port St Lucie stop is expanding...

Not sure whne they go live or what type chargers these are as they are covered.

Attachments

• PXL_20201129_205401917.jpg
    PXL_20201129_205401917.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 148
I apologize for inadvertently providing misleading information. Back in 2013 Tesla installed 4 version 2 Superchargers and put an enclosure around them. When I received a photo of 4 version 2 Superchargers out in the open I erroneously assumed that they were newly installed. I just received new photos of the installation and what is now apparent is that Tesla removed the enclosure from around the existing Superchargers and switchgear. There are no additional Supercharger cabinets on site yet.

So, it is possible that the expansion could still be version 3. If Tesla installs two more charging terminals at the original location to go with the 6 terminals in front of the paint store, then that could be handled with either 4 more version 2 Superchargers or 2 more version 3 Superchargers.

I've updated our article.

Larry
I was told by a foreman at the PSL site that the superchargers are being changed to 250kW but it’s not a v3 station, is this possible? They started working there on 1/17/22.

Reactions: PStewart
EDIT to previous post: Just to be clear, I was explaining what Tesla did at many of the Trans-Canada Highway superchargers they finished last year. I don't know what they are doing at this location. If someone manages to get pictures of the equipment pad area showing the new conduit or any new cabinets, we'd probably be able to tell for sure.

Note: I'd have edited this into the previous post, but no longer have that option.
I’ve added photos to the end of this thread. Can take more of necessary to determine which version they are. Foreman on site told me 250kW, but not v3

Any update on the Port Saint Lucie SCers?
Yep.....

Here's the update...... Nothing as of yesterday 4/20.

In fact, it does appear that any work has taken place in weeks....

and.... based on the stations that are mounted, it appears these are 150's.

Why in the world would this take so long to get finished.....???

Basically, there is NO quick SC between North Palm Beach and Fort Pierce to SC at if you're driving I-95..... Stuart has one, but it is a ways off on 95.

Nothing in Palm Beach Gardens..... Nothing in Jupiter..... Nothing in Hope Sound.....

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9