Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting but . . .

Why don't they just put the kWh on the handle?

Or better still right on the pedestal where you can see it?

Why does it have to be such a mystery?

ICE vehicles at least get this (not exactly the same I know, but still . . .)

View attachment 1014957
It's only a mystery at these sites that have both V2 and V3 in the same location. Where that is not the case, it is listed in the car for the info about the site you are going to.

In my opinion, the difference here is the gas pump states what product comes out of the nozzle not the speed in which that product is pumped into your car, which in both gas pumps and Superchargers is not a guaranteed rate. If they wrote 150kw on V2s and 250kw on V3s, what level of uptick of questions/complaints Tesla would get from:

People who don't understand what a charging curve is
People who don't understand that SOC influences the charging curve
People who don't understand that battery temp influences the charging curve
People who don't understand that their onboard charger influences the max charge speed possible (Non Teslas with Magic Dock/ future NACS access)
People who don't understand that other factors could influence the charging curve or max charge speed possible

There is a minimal percentage of total sites in the Supercharger network that are in this situation where both exist in the same place, and I bet many use one or the other and do not realize this is even a situation to begin with, as the car already tells them what they need to know (how long do I need to sit here until I can leave). Stamping a hard number on these units only increases the likelihood of someone unaware of any of the above reasons to say "Hey, my kw number on screen doesn't match this stamped kw number. I wonder if something is wrong, I should call Tesla."