Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Redding, CA - Hilltop Dr. (LIVE 15 Nov 2023, 44 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not much new details to add, but I thought I’d post some pics of the site to show the state of the project. All photos taken Oct 8, 2023.

View attachment 980808 View attachment 980807 IView attachment 980811 View attachment 980812

For those that do not know it, the site is behind the main Holiday Inn building that faces Hilltop Drive, and somewhat adjacent to the rear building. In this pano, Hilltop Drive is frame right:

View attachment 980809

Here‘s a picture taken from behind the rear building, looking south. The northbound lanes of Interstate 5 are just out of frame, to the right.

View attachment 980810
Thanks for the pics! Looks like the utility transformer is already on site. Also based on the conduits and post bases and the fact that there are no posts installed yet, this may end up being a V4 site! The largest one in NA so far?!

So I ran into the contractor today and we chatted for about 15 minutes. Here is the Info about the site.

V3 dispensers were on site today and they were getting ready to start installing them. The original plan was to install V3 dispensers. Then Tesla said they wanted to install V4 dispensers so the contractor shipped all the V3 dispensers back to Tesla. Then Tesla decided they would not have enough V4 dispensers ready to get the site open for the holidays so Tesla shipped the V3 dispensers back. They had the first box of the V3 dispensers open, looked like 4 dispensers per box. The contractor said the pedestals have the small extra conduit wired up so that they can install the V4 dispensers when ever they want in the future.

The plan is to have the site open the week before Thanksgiving. Said everything is ready to go,, transformer is in and the power lines running from the city grid into the charging cabinets. When every thing is ready REU just has to flip a switch in the connection down by the sidewalk.

This same contractor put in the site in Roseville where stall number 50K is. He said at first they just put in a regular dispenser but when Tesla figured out that stall 50K was at that site they took out the original dispenser and replaced it with the special red one. He also did the site in Anderson but I'll talk about the Anderson site in that thread.

Attachments

• V3.jpg
    V3.jpg
    831.4 KB · Views: 77
Was theere yesterday and a guy in an REU van was doing some work on the transformers. Met Fnlrun at the site and he said one hold up currently is Tesla and Holiday Inn are trying to settle the issue of which doors will be open for people charging to access rest rooms.. Also Tesla has to come out and do an inspection to approve the site. Reality is the site could be up an running in a few days if everything goes well since they are ahead of schedule for the plan of having the site up and running the week before Thanksgiving in time for holiday travel.

There are 3 stalls across the driveway and facing the hotel that appear to be handicap spots. For some reason, they have a device built into the cable, just below the handle. It does not appear on the other 41 stalls. Does anyone know what this is? Edit: It just occurred to me that maybe this makes it easier to grasp the handle for someone in a wheelchair. ??
20231027_150447.jpg

Reactions: Fnlrun
There are 3 stalls across the driveway and facing the hotel that appear to be handicap spots. For some reason, they have a device built into the cable, just below the handle. It does not appear on the other 41 stalls. Does anyone know what this is? Edit: It just occurred to me that maybe this makes it easier to grasp the handle for someone in a wheelchair. ??
View attachment 985982
Yeah that's exactly right. Or, I guess more generically, for people who might have problems holding on to the Supercharger connector in its usual location. This was told to me by some installers, as well as someone who needs to make use of this other handle.

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy and Trekboy
View attachment 985982
The contractor told me that two of the three in that location are the ADA compliant chargers.

Well the fencing around the construction site looks like it has been taken away so it looks like they are close to brining this site online. Seems they are ahead fo the scheduled opening of the week before Thanksgiving. Per the online permit information more steps in the final approval have been passed. The two latest entries are

Commercial Electrical Service Reconnect passed 10/30/2023
Final Accessibility - Passed : 10/30/2023

I stopped by yesterday afternoon, and the fencing is still up, and nobody was around, I was really bummed this was not open. My buddy Joe (Model S) from Grants Pass was on his way home from the bay area, and I had to send him to the Sundial Bridge Supercharger, which IMHO is terrible. It is WAY overpriced for the city of Redding, which has its own electric company, to be charging so much. Hopefully this location opens soon. Its ready! The trash and recycle cans are even out.

Attachments

• 20231107_134244.jpg
    20231107_134244.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231107_134331.jpg
    20231107_134331.jpg
    946.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20231107_134250.jpg
    20231107_134250.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231107_134352.jpg
    20231107_134352.jpg