Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Revenue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I continue to find it quite ironic, that we’re moving to having an EV charging standard in the USA/NA called NACS, the acronym which has actually been around for over 60 YEARS, which was originally founded as the The Association For Convenience & Fuel Retailing, later named the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION for CONVENIENCE STORES or NACS, nearly all of which are gasoline fueling stations.

Does anyone think Tesla or Elon for that matter was trying to build in this irony? Or is this how ppl with aspergers get a chuckle?

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and Abraham
National Association of Convenience Stores, meet the North American Charging Standard. Actually, this is happening more and more around the country. Most Buc'ces now have Tesla Super Chargers. I know when heading North there were many Super Chargers located at convenience stories such as Sheets and the like. So, I feel that NACS and NACS is getting along quite well.

Reactions: GSP and Abraham
Isnt basically ALL of electrify America sponsored and paid for by GM, so wouldn’t this be the most logical outcome
Electrify America is an electric vehicle DC fast charging station network in the United States, with more than 788 charging locations and over 3,531 individual charging units as of September 2022.[1] It is a subsidiary of Volkswagen Group of America, established in late 2016 by the automaker as part of its efforts to offset emissions in the wake of the Volkswagen emissions scandal.[2][3][4] In June 2022, Electrify America received its first external investor with a $450 million investment from Siemens for a minority shareholder stake, valuing Electrify America at $2.45 billion.[5][6]

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
Electrify America is an electric vehicle DC fast charging station network in the United States, with more than 788 charging locations and over 3,531 individual charging units as of September 2022.[1] It is a subsidiary of Volkswagen Group of America, established in late 2016 by the automaker as part of its efforts to offset emissions in the wake of the Volkswagen emissions scandal.[2][3][4] In June 2022, Electrify America received its first external investor with a $450 million investment from Siemens for a minority shareholder stake, valuing Electrify America at $2.45 billion.[5][6]
Right.. I guess its EVGO that GM is essentially sponsoring the build out of

It was so much easier when it was just VHS vs. Betamax, (well i guess there WAS also Laserdisc and MPP and CDV among others)..NACS!!! One standard to rule them all.

come to think of it, where ARE my Laserdiscs?

Several media outlets are reporting VW is in talks with Tesla to join the NACS (Tesla) standard for North American vehicles. IMO this carries more weight than Ford or GM joining. VW is the 2nd largest auto manufacturer in the World with brands that include Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Porshe and Lamborghini. If VW joins, in order to stay competitive in the EV landscape, BMW and Mercedes will need to join as well or become obsolete. Also with the largest European manufacturer adapting to NACS if their talks are successful with Tesla, it may also cause NACS to become a world standard, not just in the USA.

This is likely helping drive TSLA up after hours.

All of VW may not go even if the main VW brand adapots NACS... Porsche has said no:

NACS will never be a world standard. China requires their own GB/T for both AC and DC. (Separate connectors.) Europe has regulations for CCS2, which the top portion supports 3-phase AC charging, while NACS doesn't. (Not to mention how much the CCS2 network is built out there already, and it doesn't have the reliability problems that CCS1 has in North America.)

But it might get us down to three main "standards":
  • CCS2
  • NACS
  • GB/T
CCS1 and CHAdeMO will likely be left to die. (CCS1 would have had a chance if CPO built out the network faster and had higher reliability.)

Reactions: Dikkie Dik