Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Jose, CA - 925 Blossom Hill Road (LIVE, 24 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was in the area so I took a couple pics. All chargers are off including the level 2 Destination Chargers.

20240117_100915.jpg

20240117_100810.jpg

Trying to see if replacing x.com with twitter.com helps w/getting the Tweet to render here:

Sign in the video is definitely visible at Google Maps (I never paid close attention to that sign) and the SCs + WCs are further down the road, past the traffic lights.

Thanks for the pics.

In the 2nd (top right) static picture of omg_Tesla's tweet, the two white cabinets are switchgear, NOT supercharger cabinets (which are off in a group of 6 elsewhere in the parking lot).
In the 3rd (lower right) static picture, just to the right of the guy in yellow vest, the transformer doors are open. Not a great view, but looks like the 3 high voltage inputs are already removed and capped. Then further to the right is an aboveground busway from the output side of the transformer leading to the first switchgear cabinet, which has got smoke damage from the fire.

If a supercharger cabinet got a big short, the circuit breaker in the switchgear would trip, likely instantaneously (although breakers can fail), cutting off all three phases of AC input at once, so not such a spectacular fire.

But this is a fault in the wiring (bus bars?) from transformer to switchgear. The transformer/wiring to switchgear is protected with a set of fuses, which are much less sensitive than circuit breakers, and take longer to blow. And there are 3 phases here, individually fused.

Could have been a transformer fault leading to excessive voltage causing the busbar short, or a mouse/snake trying to keep warm in the switchgear, or a poorly made/poorly installed busbar/connection.
Best case is some burned up conductor (toasted small creature optional) with replacement bus bars/wire quickly available.
Worst case is transformer damage (either originally, or by excess load by short downstream) AND the busbars in switchgear cabinet torn/melted off mounts, so have to replace the whole switchgear cabinet too.

I dropped by Friday night and saw that the Superchargers and most of the WCs were still blocked off. In some areas like where the J1772 EVSEs are, they weren't blocked but the L2 EVSEs were all wrapped up. There was still a green fence around the area as seen in the Jan 17th pics

There was no power to the SCs, WCs and J1772 EVSEs. Will be interesting to see how long this formerly busy site will be down for.

For those who want cheap L2 juice, there is Branham High School | San Jose, CA | EV Station but I'm unclear about whether the amperage goes up to say 30 amps once you pay with (goofy) Powerflex app. It is 10 cents per kWh which is a bargain compared to PG&E rates. I found EV Charging Stations at CUHSD on that.

After me and my wife parked our model 3 outside of the Cheesecake Factory for dinner, my wife commented that she was about to send Elon a nasty X saying something like "Elon needs to stop focusing on rockets and get these super chargers at Oakridge Mall back online"....Well....when we finished our dinner, we walked past the supper chargers which were all full of Tesla's charging. So I told my wife that Elon must have heard you : )

Attachments

• IMG_7088.jpeg
    IMG_7088.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 7
After me and my wife parked our model 3 outside of the Cheesecake Factory for dinner, my wife commented that she was about to send Elon a nasty X saying something like "Elon needs to stop focusing on rockets and get these super chargers at Oakridge Mall back online"....Well....when we finished our dinner, we walked past the supper chargers which were all full of Tesla's charging. So I told my wife that Elon must have heard you : )
@Big Earl @Guacahummus @corywright

Nice. I have no Tesla so I can't see their Supercharger pricing. At 23 cents per kWh from 11 pm to 8 am, that's cheaper that Pacific Gouge & Extort EV2-A off-peak's 34.578 cents per kWh (page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf).

Reactions: ken830
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
You don't need a Tesla to download the app and set up an account and see charger status and pricing.
I installed the Tesla app when Magic Dock was rolled out. IIRC, I could not see the status nor pricing of non-Magic Dock Superchargers. At least, this was the case before the Ford NACS adapter availability. I'll check again when I get a chance.