Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger stopped charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was in Barstow today driving home from Vegas in my lr awd. Had limit set to 80 percent - but was also using nav to drive home and the nav said I needed less than that to continue my trip home.

Started charging with 95 miles left and said I’d be done in 25 minutes - was charging slow. Walked across the street to go use a restroom and checked my app and it said 20 minutes left. Cool. Used restroom for less than five minutes. Checked app again and it said “charging stopped” with a range of 134 miles and less than 50 percent charge. No notifications on my phone from the app. Tried to push start charging on the app but it wouldn’t start.

Walked back to my car and unplugged and plugged back in and it still wouldn’t charge. Ended up driving to another charger, plugged in and started charging at twice the speed of the other charger.

I was not hit with idle fees while the first charger was stopped. I checked my Tesla account and it just shows both chargers. But any idea what could have happened? My biggest fear is thinking it will take 45 min to charge somewhere, so I go somewhere to eat, and then it stops charging like this.

Was in Barstow today driving home from Vegas in my lr awd. Had limit set to 80 percent - but was also using nav to drive home and the nav said I needed less than that to continue my trip home.

Started charging with 95 miles left and said I’d be done in 25 minutes - was charging slow. Walked across the street to go use a restroom and checked my app and it said 20 minutes left. Cool. Used restroom for less than five minutes. Checked app again and it said “charging stopped” with a range of 134 miles and less than 50 percent charge. No notifications on my phone from the app. Tried to push start charging on the app but it wouldn’t start.

Walked back to my car and unplugged and plugged back in and it still wouldn’t charge. Ended up driving to another charger, plugged in and started charging at twice the speed of the other charger.

I was not hit with idle fees while the first charger was stopped. I checked my Tesla account and it just shows both chargers. But any idea what could have happened? My biggest fear is thinking it will take 45 min to charge somewhere, so I go somewhere to eat, and then it stops charging like this.

Yes, this kind of junk happens. :-( Bad superchargers. You have to check on it once in a while sadly (normally you can kind of tell if it does not ramp up to where you are expecting).

I wish I knew more about the superchargers internals and failure modes. Tesla needs to get better about marking units as “bad” so folks know to avoid them. Also, they should assign folks a stall as they drive into a supercharger to assign you the best stall (not paired, not broken, etc...)

One failure mode it would appear is that some modules in the supercharger are defective but the others work fine and so it just charges slowly. It would be nice to have some visibility to this...

Reactions: skierrob