Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Terrace Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They don’t have any yet, but that doesn’t mean its not coming.

From the looks of it there is no town to speak of, just a township. The only viable location seems like the Upsala Family Restaurant/ XTR. +1 807-986-2389 There is a General Store 0.3 km down the road.

Also, I was looking at Thunder bay. It seems like the most logical location would be in the parking lot of the shopping mall complex on Dawson Rd (102) & HWY 17 intersection. Ont 102 is a more direct short cut going East &West than HWY 17 further to the south.

Question, why do you refer to your electric service utility as hydro? In the states hydro is short for hydraulic . Referring to fluid flow, water, oil, etc.
The place you noted is one of the 2 I called (other was G&G) - definitely agree that it's more likely "not yet" rather than "never".

Re: Thunder Bay, I grew up there - it's a very geographically spread-out city of ~100k, and there are so many possible places it could be that I wouldn't know where to start. County Fair? Centennial Plaza? Sistonen's Corners? Somewhere along the Shabaqua Bypass? Likely not Intercity, but perhaps down the Harbour Expressway by the new hotels? Many many options, especially since Thunder Bay is a frequent overnight stopover point between SSM and Winnipeg (both 8h away) which makes off-highway and larger installations more viable.

Hydro - I've often wondered myself. My understanding is that it's due to how much power was created by dams (hydroelectricity) around the time a lot of the utilities were being created/named.

[QUOTE="DMC5180, post: 3989979, member:

Question, why do you refer to your electric service utility as hydro? In the states hydro is short for hydraulic . Referring to fluid flow, water, oil, etc.

Hydro electricity.[/QUOTE]
It’s a very Canadian thing to refer to it as “hydro”.

“I was wearing my Habs touque when I went out to pay my hydro and get a double double at Timmies and a two four of Blue”. Every Canadian will understand exactly what that means. Everyone else will have no idea what we mean.

Hydro electricity.

“I was wearing my Habs touque when I went out to pay my hydro and get a double double at Timmies and a two four of Blue”. Every Canadian will understand exactly what that means. Everyone else will have no idea what we mean.[/QUOTE]

I’ll try and translate that.

Habs touque = no clue
Hydro = electric bill
Double Double = could be double cheese burger or coffee drink of some kind.
Timmies= Tim Horton’s
Two four of blue= a case of labatts Blue.

Toonies = CAD dollar coins

Double Double = could be double cheese burger or coffee drink of some kind.
DUDE!

A double-double is a Tim Hortons coffee with double cream and double sugar! Get back to remedial Canadian school immediately as this is kindergarten-level content! Maybe even pre-school.

And it enterrs the vernacular in other ways - like describing your golf round as - "I was two up but took a Tim Hortons over the last two holes". Translation - I took a double-double (double bogey followed by double bogey) over the last two holes

• Funny
Reactions: lensovet
You are right that this doesn't make a lot of sense. But historically in Canada our electric power came from hydro-electric dams and the electric companies were provincially government owned and had Hydro in their names. For example: Ontario Hydro, BC Hydro and Hydro-Quebec. These companies become very powerful and omnipotent and some argued that they ruled the provincial governments rather than the other way around. Ontario Hydro built their headquarters at the corner of College St and University Ave in Toronto - right across the street from the Ontario Provincial legislature. There is a joke that they built the building in that spot so that they could keep an eye on their underlings in the provincial government as they overlooked them.

DUDE!

A double-double is a Tim Hortons coffee with double cream and double sugar! Get back to remedial Canadian school immediately as this is kindergarten-level content! Maybe even pre-school.

And it enterrs the vernacular in other ways - like describing your golf round as - "I was two up but took a Tim Hortons over the last two holes". Translation - I took a double-double (double bogey followed by double bogey) over the last two holes

Go easy on him. Profile says Reedsbury WI - so if we've come up with a test that foils someone from Wisconsin (which is about as close to being Canadian as you can get without actually crossing the 49th) we've done well.

Also for DMC's benefit:
Habs touque = Montreal Canadiens ("Habs") knitted winter hat (touque) = a winter cap with a Montreal Canadiens logo on it

Last edited:
Reactions: Vawlkus

“I was wearing my Habs touque when I went out to pay my hydro and get a double double at Timmies and a two four of Blue”. Every Canadian will understand exactly what that means. Everyone else will have no idea what we mean./QUOTE

I’ll try and translate that.

(...)

Toonies = CAD dollar coins
Two-dollar coin actually - named that because the one-dollar coin is called the loonie (two loonies, -> toonie)
220px-Canadian_Dollar_-_reverse.png

Go easy on him. Profile says Reedsbury WI - so if we've come up with a test that foils someone from Wisconsin (which is about as close to being Canadian as you can get without actually crossing the 49th) we've done well.

Also for DMC's benefit:
Habs touque = Montreal Canadiens ("Habs") knitted winter hat (touque) = a winter cap with a Montreal Canadiens logo on it

Yeah, I’m cheesehead and darned proud of it don’t ya know, ya. I’ll be sportin da stormie up nort soon, ya.

It’s always fun trying to figure out regional Slang.

Two-dollar coin actually - named that because the one-dollar coin is called the loonie (two loonies, -> toonie)
220px-Canadian_Dollar_-_reverse.png
I knew about the Loonies and Toonies.

At least you got rid of the Paper equivalents.

We can’t seem to shake our Lincoln Pennies and dollar bills even though both denominations use presidents represented on other denominations. Washington Quarter, Lincoln $5 bill.

I knew about the Loonies and Toonies.

At least you got rid of the Paper equivalents.

We can’t seem to shake our Lincoln Pennies and dollar bills even though both denominations use presidents represented on other denominations. Washington Quarter, Lincoln $5 bill.

The trick to getting rid of them is (a) political courage and (b) having a majority in parliament. It's amazing what you can do as Prime Minister when you are effectively dictator for up to 5 years.

Also gives me the opportunity to repeat my dad's joke about the one-pound coin in Britain. Someone suggested it be called a "Thatcher" because it's thick and brassy and thinks it's a sovereign.

Good news in Terrace Bay. V3 Cabinets have already been installed and pedestals are on site! Photo by Derek on PlugShare.View attachment 464282

Is just me or do people not have a clue what Good visual photography is? While I appreciate someone taking the time to take photos and posting them, I see an awful lot of poorly positioned image views. While close ups of different parts of a site are good for details, take a couple long view shots that show the full site if possible. Okay, I’m done grumbling. Movin’ on.

Is just me or do people not have a clue what Good visual photography is? While I appreciate someone taking the time to take photos and posting them, I see an awful lot of poorly positioned image views. While close ups of different parts of a site are good for details, take a couple long view shots that show the full site if possible. Okay, I’m done grumbling. Movin’ on.

Sorry my photo taken while letting my dog *sugar* in the drizzle after day 2 of a marathon drive across the country to make it to a funeral on time. And the reason I stopped was to take a 2 hour nap in the passenger seat while my wife drove for a bit isn't up to your standards.
End of counter rant.