Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Tier 1 vs Tier 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is where understanding the difference between kilowatts and kilowatt hours really matters, and you are mixing them up.

This is not talking about kWh. Notice that the comments before you don't say kWh? They say kW. Kilowatts is the charging power. It is the speed at which energy is going into the car. So no, it can't translate to miles at all, because it's not an amount of energy.

This tier 1 and tier 2 thing is saying that when the charging speed is really fast, like 100+ kilowatts, then they will charge a higher rate per minute, because you are getting more energy per minute. And then when the power (charging speed) drops below 60 kilowatts, then they charge less per minute, because you are getting less energy per minute.

thx for the clarification. I guess my focus is more miles vs time (on most days ) So @ Tier 1 you get the same kwh/ miles, just longer but cheaper/mile or kwh ? or is it the same $/mile or Kwh for Tier 2??

Last edited:
thx for the clarification. I guess my focus is more miles vs time (on most days ) So @ Tier 1 you get the same kwh/ miles, just longer but cheaper/mile or kwh ? or is it the same $/mile or Kwh for Tier 2??
It's trying to be in the same ballpark of price per energy (or mile). Because they are basically setting it in two very rough buckets, charging about twice as much for about twice as much charging speed. But there is obviously variability throughout both buckets, since they won't always run at 120kW at the high end, and it won't always run at exactly 60kW on the low end.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
It's trying to be in the same ballpark of price per energy (or mile). Because they are basically setting it in two very rough buckets, charging about twice as much for about twice as much charging speed. But there is obviously variability throughout both buckets, since they won't always run at 120kW at the high end, and it won't always run at exactly 60kW on the low end.

so it's good to be in tier 1 if you're not in hurry, but tier 2 if you are. Only lever I see is sharing stalls.

The sad part is there is free chargepoint DC solar battery charger by my work. Except the owner is under an FBI investigation for solar rebate fraud

Bloomberg

It's just sitting there generating power (that I can hear) but charge point wont release the locked charger

Last edited: