Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Vandalism Lynnfield MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just at the SC at Market St in Lynnfield MA and 5 of the cords were just vandalized via some AH filling the end of the lead with JB weld type epoxy putty.

Local PD, security and Tesla SC support have all been notified.
It's sad that this happens.
With all the hate out there I guess we have to stick together and report things if you see suspicious behavior.

Why do people make the effort to do these things? It accomplishes nothing.

Attachments

• IMG20220819115510.jpg
    IMG20220819115510.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG20220819115523.jpg
    IMG20220819115523.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG20220819115528.jpg
    IMG20220819115528.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG20220819115534.jpg
    IMG20220819115534.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG20220819115544.jpg
    IMG20220819115544.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 107
Very sad.
Some people probably just think something like this is funny because it is so easy to do. Or they are anti-EV zealots.

This is a weak point in the Supercharger design. Because it is so easy to use...grab and plug in, it is also vulnerable to this.
Other chargers (ChargePoint, for example) you have to tap your card or phone before it unlocks out of the holder.
Maybe Tesla is going to have to install security cameras at some locations. Or maybe just put up signs at all locations and dummy cameras on each stall except a few with real cameras

Very sad.
Some people probably just think something like this is funny because it is so easy to do. Or they are anti-EV zealots.

This is a weak point in the Supercharger design. Because it is so easy to use...grab and plug in, it is also vulnerable to this.
Other chargers (ChargePoint, for example) you have to tap your card or phone before it unlocks out of the holder.
Maybe Tesla is going to have to install security cameras at some locations. Or maybe just put up signs at all locations and dummy cameras on each stall except a few with real cameras
I think the culprits are just plain "ICE-holes".

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I was just at the SC at Market St in Lynnfield MA and 5 of the cords were just vandalized via some AH filling the end of the lead with JB weld type epoxy putty.

Local PD, security and Tesla SC support have all been notified.
It's sad that this happens.
With all the hate out there I guess we have to stick together and report things if you see suspicious behavior.

Why do people make the effort to do these things? It accomplishes nothing.
Did they at least do only A’s or only B’s so they wouldn’t have to share cabinets?

Reactions: GreenDriver
Maybe you haven't noticed; most SC locations have had cameras for years. Not sure about this location. Sounds like no cameras there. Just nuts that some people want to do things like this.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
That's true of ChargePoint's level 2 EVSEs. I'm not sure offhand if it's true of their DC fast chargers. It's definitely not true of Electrify America and EVgo DC fast chargers (at least, not the ones I've used). The instructions at many (but not all) CCS and CHAdeMO DC fast chargers say to plug in before swiping the card.

Requiring a card swipe would defeat the advantage of the CCS plug-and-charge technology that's starting to be deployed. This feature aims to make CCS charging more Tesla-like by removing the need to swipe a card or use an app to initiate charging; as with a Supercharger, the user can unplug the charge cable from the cabinet, plug it into the car, and charging should begin. CCS plug-and-charge is currently available with some cars and networks, but it's not yet universally available.