Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Watertown, SD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do love the on the spot local updates! Sometimes I like more details for “fixed it”. That Is just my nature to really know the why. Plus this one is needed for a trip my older parents will be with. Kinda want things to go well, ha.

Wired backwards...hmmmmm

Any one knows where I can charge
There are a few things you should have in your charging toolbox when you make a trip like this. One of the things you should have is the "Plugshare" app on your phone. I'll let you figure out the details. If you don't have this currently on your phone, go to PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You and navigate to Watertown SD. If you turn on filters that include private residences, I see 3 locations where you can charge in the Watertown area today:

If you look at message #26 in this forum, you'll see that it matches up with the third item on this list. To get enhanced details on each of these locations, you will need to create an account. The same username can be used on both the web page and the phone app.

[Note that if you have trouble doing this on your flip phone, your car has a browser.]

Edit: several other hints:
  1. Load Plugshare on your phone. Learn how to use the filters properly. There is some funky reverse logic on some of the settings that you have to decode in your mind to maximize its usefulness. Spend some quality time with it in a geographical area that you are familiar with.
  2. An alternate phone app for places like the Dakotas is "RV Parky". This app is targeted to RV owners and lets them find every kind of Wal-mart, Cracker Barrel or commercial locations that let you sleep in their parking lot overnight - not that useful for a Tesla... but they also list locations of TT-30 and NEMA 14-50 plugins, sometimes with the price for use - very useful for a Tesla.
  3. With the above point in mind, make sure that you always travel with your portable charge adapter. The plug with NEMA 14-50 is the most useful. I also carry a few other choices with me when traveling I-29.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
There are a few things you should have in your charging toolbox when you make a trip like this. One of the things you should have is the "Plugshare" app on your phone. I'll let you figure out the details. If you don't have this currently on your phone, go to PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You and navigate to Watertown SD. If you turn on filters that include private residences, I see 3 locations where you can charge in the Watertown area today:

If you look at message #26 in this forum, you'll see that it matches up with the third item on this list. To get enhanced details on each of these locations, you will need to create an account. The same username can be used on both the web page and the phone app.

[Note that if you have trouble doing this on your flip phone, your car has a browser.]

Edit: several other hints:
  1. Load Plugshare on your phone. Learn how to use the filters properly. There is some funky reverse logic on some of the settings that you have to decode in your mind to maximize its usefulness. Spend some quality time with it in a geographical area that you are familiar with.
  2. An alternate phone app for places like the Dakotas is "RV Parky". This app is targeted to RV owners and lets them find every kind of Wal-mart, Cracker Barrel or commercial locations that let you sleep in their parking lot overnight - not that useful for a Tesla... but they also list locations of TT-30 and NEMA 14-50 plugins, sometimes with the price for use - very useful for a Tesla.
  3. With the above point in mind, make sure that you always travel with your portable charge adapter. The plug with NEMA 14-50 is the most useful. I also carry a few other choices with me when traveling I-29.
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation this helps out so much

Are you looking for another pool/contest? You didn't enter this one... I'll add you as a late entry here for Aug 1. You only get half the prize if you win.

Jul 9 @repoanything, described here
Jul 14 @theothertom, described here
Jul 17 @HyperionMark, described here
Jul 20 @Newyowner, described here
Jul 24 @lightfoot3b
Aug 1 @NOIDTF
Aug 5 @XHabjab, described here
I think @Newyowner is telling us that the site is not operational yet, so @NOIDTF is out of the sweepstakes, leaving ummm well okay its me. Don't fret, I can still lose too.

I like that these new Superchargers go up so quickly (conduit, pedestals, concrete, etc)...but then activating them or getting local utilities to install a transformer seems to be a wildcard at best. I'm awaiting Susanville, CA to open before fall. It's been "finished" for several weeks, like this one in Watertown, SD, but no local transformer/activation yet.

And that's just how it goes. Not much to do I suppose to hurry things along. If nothing else patience is learned being a Tesla owner. And i know things were a lot harder back a few years for very early adopters (fewer Superchargers and slower charging).

PS This Watertown site I'll really really need come Sept. crossing fingers that they can uncross the wires or whatever that was about...

Reactions: PStewart
I like that these new Superchargers go up so quickly (conduit, pedestals, concrete, etc)...but then activating them or getting local utilities to install a transformer seems to be a wildcard at best. I'm awaiting Susanville, CA to open before fall. It's been "finished" for several weeks, like this one in Watertown, SD, but no local transformer/activation yet.

And that's just how it goes. Not much to do I suppose to hurry things along. If nothing else patience is learned being a Tesla owner. And i know things were a lot harder back a few years for very early adopters (fewer Superchargers and slower charging).

PS This Watertown site I'll really really need come Sept. crossing fingers that they can uncross the wires or whatever that was about...
I just spoke to tesla supercharger dept they said they r waiting for town to give permit to turn it on. it’s built 100% they r hoping for this month or next end of next month. So sorry for the bad news.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart