Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Whistler, BC - Lorimer Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Credit goes to Teslas4life / Drive tesla Canada

1698259927273.png

Reactions: NSTM3 and Roddy
Wow, this is amazing news, but yes I agree, SUPER busy parking lot and YES it will be iced both by cars and snowplowed ice all the time. We'll take what we can get though. I have been petitioning the Whistler Council to work with Tesla to allow Superchargers in the huge Municipal parking lots right next to the village, which would have been much more suitable.

Reactions: tander and Mayoo
Whistler - Lorimer Rd, BC

Host Type: Mall
Host: Whistler Marketplace
Along National Highways: BC-99
Along Provincial Highways (<=8km): None
Along Routes: None

BC-99

To: End (BC-97 Cache Creek, BC) - 205.5 km
Diversion: 2.1 km

allow Superchargers in the huge Municipal parking lots right next to the village, which would have been much more suitable.

I disagree - this is the perfect place to start. A 30-40 minute charge session is barely enough time to walk into the village and back, let alone do something. This parking lot is perfect to get a big charge while getting a bite or beer, or hitting the grocery and liquor store. They could've put 40 chargers in here and they would be heavily used.

We still need chargers in the Muni lots too of course, there are certainly enough EVs in the lower mainland and it's growing all the time!

The logic behind what I am saying is that this parking lot is extremely busy all year and it's a pay parking lot. I know it well. In Winter and Summer it's going to be jam packed and it will be iced all the time. Most hotels in Whistler offer L2 charging for free for guests, so really this proposed location is for transiting people mostly heading along the Sea to Sky corridor either to/from Pemberton, Lillooet and beyond where there are little to no chargers and from there to the Lower Mainland. Why clog up the already super busy and PAY parking at Marketplace with Superchargers.

Whistler Muni Council is full of greenwashing hypocrites, they have said for 10 years that they need more chargers and yet they own half of the land in Whistler, yet they have barely added anything. All of Whistler has but 1 BC Hydro 50 kw charger in a private garage. That's all for all of one of the most wealthiest Muni's in all of Canada, if not the world. They have so much land and so much money, yet they have never installed even one fast charger. Even broke little Pemberton installed 2 x ChargePoint fast chargers just this month ... Whistler Muni ... nothing!

It will be great if this passes, don't get me wrong, and we get 8-20 new Superchargers, but this could have been done years ago on Muni land and without discussion and passed immediately. If you know Whistler, you'd know that the large parking lot is next to the Village, it takes but a couple minute walk to Starbucks and the whole village. Instead greenwashing Whistler Muni ignored any cooperation with Tesla (as I personally tried to get both to work with each other to build Superchargers on Muni land for years) and they waited for the private sector to give up their land while Whistler Muni Council sat on their hands for years.

In conclusion, yes it's great, but if you'd seen the effort I put in to lobbying Whistler Muni and hear for years what they've been greenwashing, it's frustrating that they did not promote an EV charging hub of BC Hydro, ChargePoint, Flo, Superchargers, etc long ago on their vast lands throughout Whistler. Let's remember that there are also a lot of non-Tesla's that don't have any other choices. So still these Superchargers are only good for us, and nobody else for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: CFinVancouver
Well, it's true I haven't been in the loop on what Whistler council does as I don't live there, and that does sound woefully inadequate. Shame on them and maybe this can be a bit of a kick in the ass to get going, especially if they're popular! I think they will be as lot of people don't stay at hotels. These are perfect for those staying with friends and family in private residences, or for daytrippers who would rather do a couple things in Whistler Village instead of Squamish.

Bottom line is moar chargers = moar better. And I don't think it will be long before these open up to the Ford/GM/everyone else drivers with the NACS and adapter deals signed this year.

Reactions: tander and Windjunk