Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging cost info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

domgmsk

Jan 21, 2019
UK
Hi all

As you can probably tell, I am new to TMC, so apologies if this has been covered somewhere (I've looked and couldn't find anything!).

I have only just put down my reservation for the model 3 at the beginning of the month, so I understand there is likely to be a considerable wait (I have read that 2020 may be a likely ETA for my car). I have been looking into buying a model S in the meantime to 'bridge the gap' so to speak. My plan is to then sell the model S once the M3 becomes available.

I have a few questions that I was hopeful someone could help out with on here:

1. Will I be able to trade there model S back in (similar to a part exchange) once my model 3 is soon to be delivered?

2. The used model S I am looking at buying comes with free supercharging for life. Will this be transferable/able to be used once I take delivery of my model 3?

Again, apologies if this has been covered in another thread, but I haven't seen it anywhere!

Hi and welcome!

1) yes you can but Tesla will not give you a great price and it's always better to sell privately unless they are guaranteeing a future value. There are a few used tesla dealers now so should make it a bit easier for you. I have been told June 2019 for Model 3 long range and performance, which model do you want?

2) no free supercharging for life is not transferable only older cars have the free supercharging thank can be passed to the next owner of the car.

Currently Tesla has a promotion of 6 months free supercharging with a referral code for model 3 however that expires on 1st Feb

Thanks for the speedy reply! I am likely going to be getting the performance model. I suppose my query around the supercharging was whether or not the supercharging 'account' was linked to a driver profile, or the car itself. e.g if someone owned both a MS and M3, would they only get the free supercharging on the MS (I am aware Tesla no longer offer free supercharging on MS, but let's say it was on an older purchase).

With regards to selling back to Tesla, I guess this is no different than other car manufacturers? Or are you suggesting Tesla offer a lower value than others?

With regards to selling back to Tesla, I guess this is no different than other car manufacturers? Or are you suggesting Tesla offer a lower value than others?

Tesla really aren’t interested in buying back from you, it’s just not the game they are in at the moment. If you are looking at the performance model then I wouldn’t have thought the wait will be that long, they will be selling the higher priced cars first - they are desperate for the cash quite frankly.

If you really really can’t wait, you could have a chat with an independent, e.g. Richard Symons R Symons Ltd and try and strike a deal where you buy one of his cars with a view to him taking it back off you in X months time.

Related to the OP's question on supercharging.
The late cars that had Supercharging assigned to the owner, this obviously doesnt transfer over.
However, I also read that with the stopping of the free supercharging Tesla assign vehicles 400kWh of free supercharging each year if the car was ordered before 2nd November 2018.
So mu question is ... if you buy a 2nd hand car that doesnt have free supercharging as it was after that incentive, will it have the 400kWh free each year? Any way to check / verify?

Thanks in advance.

If you're buying a second hand model s built after November 2018 then you're talking £70k+ really. 400kwh of free supercharging will save you ~ £100 a year. It's just not an amount that should really sway the decision one way or another

I have a few questions that I was hopeful someone could help out with on here:

1. Will I be able to trade there model S back in (similar to a part exchange) once my model 3 is soon to be delivered?

2. The used model S I am looking at buying comes with free supercharging for life. Will this be transferable/able to be used once I take delivery of my model 3?

1. In theory yes, but in practice you will lose a lot of money on the trade-in as Tesla don't seem interested in p/ex. So you would probably have to sell it privately or to an independent Tesla trader for best return.

2. No, I'm afraid not.