Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What company car fuel card does everyone use (AllStar doesn’t have access to Tesla SC)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - I am picking up my Tesla Model 3 Highland next week (ordered through employer).

I have been issued an AllStar electric fuel card by my employer.

I have just looked into the charger map (Zapp) this gives access to and it doesn't include Tesla Superchargers (which is annoying).

Does anyone know of any fuel cards that provides access to the Superchargers?

Hi all - I am picking up my Tesla Model 3 Highland next week (ordered through employer).

I have just looked into the charger map (Zapp) this gives access to and it doesn't include Tesla Superchargers (which is annoying).

I don't believe (but could be wrong) that any do currently. The system is designed for the payment to be automated when it is a Tesla being charged at a SuC... the only way it would work would be if you could have your AllStar card as a payment method in the app, but I don't think that's a thing.

Edit: Checking the app it looks like you can add a charging card as a payment method, but the only supported Charging Card is DKV Mobility, so that answers the "is there a fuel card which provides access to the Superchargers" query :)

Thank you @Oxid8ter . I’ve reached out to Allstar on X / Twitter to see if they expect to add the Tesla Superchargers soon.

Otherwise I’ll have to speak to the procurement team to see if they can provide an alternative card.

I think without Supercharger access, the Tesla experience won’t be as seamless.

We use the AllStar electric cards at work. It does include Instavolt and GridServe chargers which are now getting fast, however these cards are a pain in the arse.

They 'support' instavolt, but instavolt have about 4 different types of charger and you can only use it on the latest one. Same with many other brands, if they have multiple types it works on one type but not the other, so ZapMap isn't a source of truth really, it's pot luck. I'd stick to where you know there are newish chargers.

Any that support ZapPay seem to work though, as the electric card can be used with ZapPay if it supports it.

I expect at some point the new v4 chargers may become compatible, I doubt anything will be happening for the older ones apart from using the card with the Tesla online account if that works for your situation

I think without Supercharger access, the Tesla experience won’t be as seamless.

I would change your "think" to "definitely", but there are some caveats.

Tesla Supercharger, if you are driving a Tesla, is "plug-in, walk-away". (however, I would recommend that you check that the charging-speed is ramping up. On occasion I have plugged into a charger and it has only ramped up to "not-very-much". Disconnect, move to different stall, problem solved. So you do need to check that, but that applies to 3rd party chargers too)

In theory any "pump" brand can check your VIN or MAC or similar and recognise that you have a payment method on file and just start charging. I don't know if any3rd party chargers support that for Tesla cars (other than Superchargers), but others can correct me on that.

My pet peeve: All charger brands could start dispensing immediately for, say, 2 minutes - enough time for you to initiate / pay for the charge with APP. 2 minutes juice is a tiny cost to them, they could have a black list of abusers if they need it. If you fail to make the APP work you will have 2 minutes juice to help you get to another, working!, charger.

So anything else, including non-Tesla cars charging at Supercharger, requires: "Open the APP" (you've already got THAT brand's APP installed, right? :( ), tell it which stall (maybe scan a QR code on the stall) and initiate charge. That will fail some percentage of times. On occasions you will have to phone up to get the charge started. You may need to use the APP to end the charge too. Using the APP for START and STOP may take several minutes each.

The other thing to consider is how good the charging experience is - Tesla Supercharger vs. The Rest.

There are occasions when The Rest will charge you faster. But not many.

In the majority of cases Tesla Supercharger will have: more stalls, better uptime, cheaper price. And typically it will be mostly Teslas charging there (some exceptions, like Heathrow where Taxis of all flavours are helping themselves); all-Teslas means that all cars charge quickly (i.e. some other-brands are slow / take forever and/or the Chargers are either "slow" or the chargers are fast but sometimes slow (e.g. in cold weather) and coupled with "lots of stalls", that means that the churn at Tesla Superchargers is quick, and if you have to wait it is rarely for long.

So, bottom line, you will be better off charging predominantly at Superchargers

Tesla gives you a detailed invoice for charging - its a bit of a pain to download 'coz you can only do it from the APP (i.e. you can't just get it by Email once a month), but it might be that you could submit that to "expenses"?

I would change your "think" to "definitely", but there are some caveats.

School teacher asks a class to give an example of a valid sentence with the word definitely in it.

Little Jo replies with “when I get home I’m definitely going to have an ice cream”.

Teacher replies “well Jo, you might not get an ice cream so that isn’t correct.”

Then Robin say “Teacher, do farts have lumps in?”

Teacher asks “well no, but what has that got to do with the word definitely?”

Robin replies “well in that case, I’ve definitely shat myself”

Have a Barclaycard Fuel card from work and added that to my Tesla App.

Have a Mina ( All Star ) card as well and use that at any other charger I just need a tap and charge.

Have the Electroverse app and RFID card as well and that has my Barclaycard Fuel Card as its default payment method

Thanks all. All very helpful.

It’s only my first car through my employer, never mind having an e-fuel card. Therefore I hadn’t realised there were complexities in terms of where / if efuel cards will actually work.

@xreyuk would you know if there is a better map to use to work out which chargers work with the Allstar Card? It would be ideal to know which of my local EV chargers would likely work before I speak to my employer (without physically having to try each charger).

Separately, I was told today that I am actually one of two employees my employer selected on a trial basis for these cards - they will therefore consider any feedback I provide.

Reactions: WannabeOwner

It’s only my first car through my employer, never mind having an e-fuel card. Therefore I hadn’t realised there were complexities in terms of where / if efuel cards will actually work.

@xreyuk would you know if there is a better map to use to work out which chargers work with the Allstar Card? It would be ideal to know which of my local EV chargers would likely work before I speak to my employer (without physically having to try each charger).

Separately, I was told today that I am actually one of two employees my employer selected on a trial basis for these cards - they will therefore consider any feedback I provide.
Looks like there should be an integration between ZapMap and AllStar - See this on YT:

Reactions: WannabeOwner

As shown by Oxid8ter, I just use the AllStar integration with ZapMap - however, that will tell you it works at certain chargers via RFID/Contactless and when you get there it doesn't. The only ones I can say they 'definitely' work at is ones where it takes ZapPay (and ZapPay is working there obvs)

I noticed ZapMap removed a load of chargers from the AllStar integration recently so it's possible their map has just been out of date and they've improved it, I don't really use it that much as I do have a home charger, it's more an in case of emergencies or on long drives (i'd rather charge at home than sit at chargers)