TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharging for Sport

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by PhillyGal, Jul 25, 2019.

1. theflyer

theflyer Member

Helping educate/inform others is a big reason many of us are in the competition.

2. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

A few years back, I was scoping out the site of the still-in-permitting-at-the-time Fresno, CA Supercharger. Couple ladies in a BMW M5 pulled up next to us and wanted to ask about the car, which led to a nice chat. They said, "We've seen a few of these Teslas around town." I told them to come back to that very spot when the Supercharger is operational and they'd see a whole lot!

Bruce.

3. cpa

cpa Active Member

No kidding, Bruce! And now those same ladies will be seeing a completely full Fresno Supercharger at various times throughout the day with a couple more waiting.

Sorta sends a mixed message!

4. dauger

dauger Member

#24 dauger, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    I'm glad they're:
    1. driving out and exercising the Supercharger network
    2. documenting where they go and posting statistics on the web as spreadsheets, bar charts, and dots and lines on a map
    3. promoting friendly competition
    4. expressing pride in their activity

I have zero problem with that as far as that goes. There are lots of activities like this I'm happy are people are enjoying. If you want to end the conversation there, fine.

I'm asking about something more, and it seems like you're asking me to explain.

Marketing teaches us a few lessons about a gap between the public buying into what's being shown and what's being shown. Some call it the "So what?" test. I don't claim to be a marketing expert, but I'm not convinced solely spreadsheets, bar charts, and dots and lines on a map are going to close that gap or have traction towards a lasting impression on the general public. Who are the "others" and how effective is the "Helping educate/inform" job being done? I'm not seeing much of that (spreadsheets, bar charts, and dots and lines on a map) in this article or the links therein. Why would a member of the general public be interested in visiting Superchargers as a goal unto itself? Aren't there other things to visit that Supercharging helps us visit?

It's like I'm seeing a contest for faster or more capable Linux kernels, and that's fine as far as that goes, but no one is saying why building those Linux kernels are going to help anyone do something that interests the public. (I know there's a reason, but it's not me who needs convincing.)

The people I met in Grand Teton who couldn't believe I drove there on electricity, or even the one telling me I was unwise to visit Mt Rushmore using electricity, and every other gas-car driver who seems to have range anxiety on my behalf, even though I'm not experiencing anxiety, certainly didn't know about this Supercharger contest. Between those people I met out there and the people in this Supercharger contest is a gap.

5. theflyer

theflyer Member

Thank you for helping tell the story.

I totally agree with you but not quite sure what you mean by a gap. Every Tesla owner I know tells their story to others in whatever way is right for them. It is no different with Tesla.
    This effect is so strong in Tesla owners that it is the core reason why Elon says Tesla doesn't need to "advertise." - While I think that is a bit of a game of semantics, it is largely true in comparison to the advertising budgets of virtually any other large company.

By and large, the charts mean nothing to anyone but the competitors. My statement, inarticulate as it was, meant to convey getting out on the road and engaging with people all across the country. Like this.

Annotation 2019-07-21 192905.jpg

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. cpa

cpa Active Member

If the junior varsity can chime in:

There is no real need to promote Teslas and driving long-distance EVs in most of California and in selected other areas of the country. On Friday, I drove down Highway 1 from Castroville to San Luis Obispo. I must have seen 40 Teslas along that 130-mile stretch of highway, not counting the ones at Superchargers. Teslas are becoming as common as Camrys! (slight hyperbole, but you understand.)

To me, these charts are not much different from sports statistics. Many fans just care about wins and losses. Some fans look at home runs, RBIs, batting average, and ERA. Then there are those who go much deeper and look into all the myriad permutations that are tracked and ranked.

I have not counted, but I would surmise that there are ~50 (perhaps more!) of us who have visited at least 100 Superchargers, and there is a select few who have visited over half of the locations in North America.

Part of marketing is sending subliminal messages. I think this competition with the charts and graphs might get one's foot in the door, as it were, for a lot of people.

7. kwag

kwag Member

Did about 25 within 4 days of purchase. Bought the car in Chicago and drove it to the west coast.

8. GreenT

GreenT Member

Because Superchargers are only 1 part of the equation for range anxiety.
    The far more important one is ... how far am I from the nearest SERVICE CENTER when I need one?