Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger not showing in app on phone or map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: I can't figure out how to report this to Tesla. I go to Contact on their website, but it just takes me into FAQs with no real email to report this problem.

We live out in the country, and for our drive to the Dallas / Fort Worth area, we must head east to I35 to go north through Waco, etc. then to go back west to get to Fort Worth because we have to top off our charge on the way. This is really inconvenient and we've been wishing there was a Supercharger on a more direct route for us.

I was piddling around in Plugshare and ABRP and discovered they both list a Supercharger in Hamilton, TX. That is PERFECT for us! I was speaking to another Tesla owner, and sure enough, he confirmed there is one there and he has used it to charge on his way home before.

So, we are pretty excited, we put in our destination in Fort Worth, and sure enough the first thing it does is route me to Waco. I dig and dig in the Tesla app, and it will not show the Supercharger in Hamilton. I put the same destination in ABRP or Plugmate, and it routes me right to Hamilton, as it should. Of course this does me almost no good as the car itself won't route me to Hamilton, it won't prep the batteries for Supercharging, etc.

So I was hoping there was a simple way to contact Tesla and ask them why this location hasn't been added to their route planning. Any ideas?

IMG_4850.png

OK, so here's what I have now.

If I route on the car from Johnson City, TX to Weatherford, TX, it works correctly and takes me through Hamilton.
If I put the same route on the phone app, it takes me to Waco, TX first.

At least the car side works now. I can deal with the Tesla phone app being broken for now.

Yeah, I don't do social media at all, so I don't get X notifications.

Anyway, as long as it works in the car, we are good. This is a huge benefit to us to have it along that way. I35 is a horrible way to commute from central Texas to Dallas / Fort Worth, there are commonly large accidents that shut down the highway, and it is commonly overloaded on holidays and even weekends.

Thanks everyone!

OK, so here's what I have now.

If I route on the car from Johnson City, TX to Weatherford, TX, it works correctly and takes me through Hamilton.
If I put the same route on the phone app, it takes me to Waco, TX first.

At least the car side works now. I can deal with the Tesla phone app being broken for now.
Put the Hamilton Supercharger as your initial destination, then edit the route, adding your ultimate destination, then edit route to correct the order. You can also put in your final destination, then add the Hamilton Supercharger. The newest added spot is always added to the top of the route planner in the car.

Reactions: electricar
Yesterday when I tried doing just that, it wouldn't find the Supercharger in Hamilton. That's what brought me here. I don't know if was an update to the app on my phone or they fixed something on the back end for the phone app, but it's showing there now.

Yeah, I've had to do the same thing as you outlined for when I don't want to go the way it wants me to go. I had lots of back ways to go further up the back way before cutting over to I35, and that's exactly what we had to do. In cooler weather we can make it all the way up to the Alvarado Supercharger from here. In the heat of the summer when temps were 105+, it wouldn't even get close to that far.

Check this out:
Tesla Efficiency vs Temperature.png

I had some really strange routing in Austin this weekend. On the navigation screen, if I set a single destination supercharger about 15 miles from my current location, it navigated there properly. If I added two more supercharger stops and my home address, it inserted multiple extra and unnecessary stops, even being 75 miles in the wrong direction. It looked like a child drew on the map with a light blue crayon with all the lines back and forth. These were extra charging stops that it thought it needed. The same out-of-the way stops were added between each of the supercharger stops that I had added in the Austin-metro area. Never seen that happen before...

@swaltner We had that same thing happen recently. We were between Lampasas and Burnet (remember, we like to get off I35 and take the back way) and it started telling us to turn around and go back to Georgetown before going to Johnson City. We just soldiered on, and made it into Johnson City with around 35% still available. At first it scared us, because this was one of those "well over 100 degrees" days, and we thought it knew something we didn't. Then as we got closer to JC, the percentage started going up instead of down.

On the Tesla Go Anywhere website the route depends on the car that is selected. For example, Model S routes through Hamilton and Model Y routes through Waco. It does not show a charger in Hamilton so maybe it thinks the MY can't make it without charging even though it's under 200 miles.

Last edited:
TLDR: I can't figure out how to report this to Tesla. I go to Contact on their website, but it just takes me into FAQs with no real email to report this problem.

We live out in the country, and for our drive to the Dallas / Fort Worth area, we must head east to I35 to go north through Waco, etc. then to go back west to get to Fort Worth because we have to top off our charge on the way. This is really inconvenient and we've been wishing there was a Supercharger on a more direct route for us.

I was piddling around in Plugshare and ABRP and discovered they both list a Supercharger in Hamilton, TX. That is PERFECT for us! I was speaking to another Tesla owner, and sure enough, he confirmed there is one there and he has used it to charge on his way home before.

So, we are pretty excited, we put in our destination in Fort Worth, and sure enough the first thing it does is route me to Waco. I dig and dig in the Tesla app, and it will not show the Supercharger in Hamilton. I put the same destination in ABRP or Plugmate, and it routes me right to Hamilton, as it should. Of course this does me almost no good as the car itself won't route me to Hamilton, it won't prep the batteries for Supercharging, etc.

So I was hoping there was a simple way to contact Tesla and ask them why this location hasn't been added to their route planning. Any ideas?
Tesla customer service seems to be operating with digital self-management. Therefore if you want this location added, you must do it yourself. Refer to the service manual, (access comes with your car), for the procedure to add charging locations. YW.