Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

supercharging speed different batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model Y performance and I know that it can charge at up to 250 kW. My sister is interested in buying a model Y and before she buys it I'd like to know what the charging speed is for the different models. I think right now there are 2170 4680 and LFP batteries available. What is the maximum charging speed for each of these three?

additionally id like to know more about charging curves. is there an good source on that? I mostly charge at home so I don't road trip much but my sister would like to drive away from home more than I do so I'd like to be able to answer those questions for her.

Currently there is no Model Y sold in the US with the LFP battery, only the US RWD Model 3 has the LFP battery.

Currently there are three versions of the Model Y sold in the US. All US Model Y are dual motor.

Model Y (4680)
Long Range Model Y (2170)
Performance Model Y (2170).

There are currently different versions of Supercharger in the US:

Urban Supercharger (located in parking garages) 72kW maximum
V2 Superchargers: 120kW and 150kW maximum
V3 Superchargers: 250kW maximum

If you do start charging at close to the V3 maximum of 250kW it will only charge at this rate for ~6 minutes before starting to taper. In practical use the difference in time when charging from 20% to 80% SOC for a V2 or V3 Supercharger is ~10 minutes (V3 is faster but not game changing.)

Charging curves have more to do with the starting state of charge, battery temperature and ending state of charge than the specific type of battery. You can optimize Supercharging by doing the following:

Enter the Supercharger as the destination in the Tesla Navigation system and then let the Tesla vehicle navigate to the Supercharger. The Tesla Model Y will automatically begin preconditioning for Supercharging starting 20 to 30 minutes drive time from the SC location (depending on the battery temperature.)

Plan to arrive with the battery at or below 30% SOC. The Supercharger charging limit will in many cases be automatically set to 80% SOC depending on the historical usage of the Supercharger location. You can override the 80% setting but you will find that charging tapers significantly above 70% and by 80% you will want to end the charging session and continue your trip. Supercharging above 90% just takes too long and in most cases is unnecessary.

Here is one curve (Post #6): Model Y power vs. SOC and SOC vs time plots/charts?

Supercharger charging rates can vary with how many Tesla vehicles are charging at the time (this specifically applies to V2 Superchargers when two Tesla vehicle are charging, drawing power from the same high voltage transformer, i.e. Tesla vehicles using charging spaces labeled 1A and 1B this would reduce the Supercharging rate by half. If a Tesla vehicle is charging using charging space 1A then don't park, charge in space 1B. Instead, use a different number stall if possible to charge. Sometimes this also happens with V3 Superchargers but in general for V3 Superchargers two Tesla vehicles can charge using the same high voltage transformer with no reduction in charging rate. (Some Supercharger locations may not provide the rated maximum charging rate due to local grid limitations.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed answer I was confused about the LFP battery I forgot that those are only in the model 3. t\The rest matches what I expected I just wanted to make sure that I had to right information for when she asked the question I wasn't aware that the difference between a V2 an E3 is that small.

I have a model Y performance and I know that it can charge at up to 250 kW. My sister is interested in buying a model Y and before she buys it I'd like to know what the charging speed is for the different models. I think right now there are 2170 4680 and LFP batteries available. What is the maximum charging speed for each of these three?

additionally id like to know more about charging curves. is there an good source on that? I mostly charge at home so I don't road trip much but my sister would like to drive away from home more than I do so I'd like to be able to answer those questions for her.
When I am in Florida I use FPL Evolution 350kWh chargers with my CC1 adapter. They sometimes start out charging over 100kWh at the beginning of my charge period. They are often cheaper than the nearby Tesla Chargers that are usually busy. I've also signed up for Electrify America 350 kWh chargers which also require a CC1 adapter. The charge rate varies along with the temperature of the battery and how long the vehicle was preparing for its next charge. Tell your sister not to worry. Tesla is a great vehicle.

Attachments

• FPL Pompano Beach Tpke IMG_9907.JPG
    FPL Pompano Beach Tpke IMG_9907.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 126
  • FPL 350 kWh Charge Station WPB Fl Tpke IMG_9876.JPG
    FPL 350 kWh Charge Station WPB Fl Tpke IMG_9876.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 48
When I am in Florida I use FPL Evolution 350kWh chargers with my CC1 adapter. They sometimes start out charging over 100kWh at the beginning of my charge period. They are often cheaper than the nearby Tesla Chargers that are usually busy. I've also signed up for Electrify America 350 kWh chargers which also require a CC1 adapter. The charge rate varies along with the temperature of the battery and how long the vehicle was preparing for its next charge. Tell your sister not to worry. Tesla is a great vehicle.
I love my Tesla I'm not worried. I just like to have answers for my sister. she has lots of questions and she isn't very tech savvy. In some respects I'm nervous about the idea of her buying a Tesla so I'm just trying to be ready

Why would you sign up for a 350kw charger when the MY can accept (only) up to 250 kw? I would not get in the habit of blocking a 350 kw charger when there are EV's that can take higher speeds than ours (Ioniq5/6, EV6, Lucid, Taycan, etc).

Why would you sign up for a 350kw charger when the MY can accept (only) up to 250 kw? I would not get in the habit of blocking a 350 kw charger when there are EV's that can take higher speeds than ours (Ioniq5/6, EV6, Lucid, Taycan, etc).
i think even 350kw units have a practical maximum of about 280 and it depends on the battery pack voltage and the cabling on the dispenser. Right now it's largely irrelevant since it seems like all the 350 kW units are down rated to 50. However ,the fact that it's cheaper is a valid reason to use it

Reactions: howardnj
i think even 350kw units have a practical maximum of about 280 and it depends on the battery pack voltage and the cabling on the dispenser. Right now it's largely irrelevant since it seems like all the 350 kW units are down rated to 50. However ,the fact that it's cheaper is a valid reason to use it
Either way, with more cars being able to use higher speeds, taking a 350kw charger with a Tesla is almost the same is ICEing it out, in my mind. We need to be cognizant of that. I mean, I've seen Bolts using those charger when others are available.

with EA, you don't sign up for a specific charging rate, you sign up to pay a small monthly fee to get a large discount on the per kWh price of the electricity they dispense. When using Electrify Amereica, you take what you can get... if the 150's are in use / broken you plug into the 350. The 350 will be slightly faster than the 150 for a Tesla Model Y, and significantly faster for a Model S or X.

Either way, with more cars being able to use higher speeds, taking a 350kw charger with a Tesla is almost the same is ICEing it out, in my mind. We need to be cognizant of that. I mean, I've seen Bolts using those charger when others are available.

Same as above, if the Bolt arrived and all of the 150's were in use / broken, of course he is going to plug into the 350... just because there was nobody at the slower chargers when you saw the Bolt doesn't mean that the other chargers were available when it pulled up... and unless you checked the screens yourself, it is a 50 / 50 chance that the other stations were broken / unavailable for some reason.

I really like that EA exists, especially a few years ago when I was road tripping in my 2017 Bolt EV, but they really need to step up their reliability game.

Keith

We're gonna have to agree to disagree this is nothing like a bolt or 100% ID 4 idle at charger. The bigger issue is that nobody knows how to do this you might understand it but I guarantee you virtually nobody driving a bolt understands how stupid it is to plug into 350. But if a 350 is whats available, I'm gonna use it.

EA’s 350kw chargers mostly max out at around 350 amps at 800 or 1000v. The rating comes from a 1000v architecture vehicle accepting full amps. (Volts x amps).

Below 400 volts they can put out 500 amps.

800 volt cars such as the taycan and egm-p cars should accept 280kw but either through losses or limiting take 270kw for taycan and 240kw for Ioniq max.

Tesla is a high 400 volt car accepting the full 500 amps. That puts it above 200kw on 350 kw rated chargers.

If your car is capable of accepting more then 150kw you should be on the 350kw’s

Everything else should be on 150’s in a perfect world. As mentioned before if the charger is packed it basically goes first come first served. If you happen to be on a fast charger with a taycan waiting and a 150 opens up you should probably offer to swap because you have probably already tapered off your max speed. Again perfect world and that’s rarely the case with EA

I just returned from a weekend trip in my 2020 LRMY. This was my first experience with a V3 Supercharger. I arrived at a V3 Supecharger with 23% SOC and after approximately 15 minutes of battery preconditioning for Supercharging. This Supercharger location has 8 charging spaces. The spaces are numbered 1A/1B/1C/1D and 2A thru 2D. There were three other Tesla vehicles charging when I arrived. As far as I could tell I was sharing the No.1 bank of Supercharger spaces with one other Tesla vehicle. Unlike most of the Supercharger charging cables I used this weekend this cable still looked new.

Charging started and quickly ramped up to 192kW. I left my Model Y with the Climate Control set to Keep and walked away. Charging to 80% was estimated to take 25 minutes. I returned within 5 minutes only to find the charging rate had fallen to 49kW. The charging rate remained at 49kW for 10 minutes before gradually increasing until achieving ~90kW, then the charging rate started decreasing. I stopped charging when the charging rate fell to 70kW and the SOC was at 75%. I am curious if the Supercharger tapered the charging session due to overheating (the outside temperature was in the high 80s, on a sunny day.) Can anyone provide any insight into why this Supercharger charging session went sideways?

I just returned from a weekend trip in my 2020 LRMY. This was my first experience with a V3 Supercharger. I arrived at a V3 Supecharger with 23% SOC and after approximately 15 minutes of battery preconditioning for Supercharging. This Supercharger location has 8 charging spaces. The spaces are numbered 1A/1B/1C/1D and 2A thru 2D. There were three other Tesla vehicles charging when I arrived. As far as I could tell I was sharing the No.1 bank of Supercharger spaces with one other Tesla vehicle. Unlike most of the Supercharger charging cables I used this weekend this cable still looked new.

Charging started and quickly ramped up to 192kW. I left my Model Y with the Climate Control set to Keep and walked away. Charging to 80% was estimated to take 25 minutes. I returned within 5 minutes only to find the charging rate had fallen to 49kW. The charging rate remained at 49kW for 10 minutes before gradually increasing until achieving ~90kW, then the charging rate started decreasing. I stopped charging when the charging rate fell to 70kW and the SOC was at 75%. I am curious if the Supercharger tapered the charging session due to overheating (the outside temperature was in the high 80s, on a sunny day.) Can anyone provide any insight into why this Supercharger charging session went sideways?
Regardless of the issue, you should report it to Tesla. That's not normal performance in that weather. I got well over 100kW for most of my session when I charged at a V3 last weekend, in similar heat and SOC, starting at 248kW.

Reactions: jcanoe

I had a similar problem once at Hardeeville. Changed stalls and things were ok. Also, 2020 MYLR.