Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got our new Raven a week ago, so last Saturday midnight I took it to the Burbank supercharger and recorded kW rate and rated miles every minute for 40 minutes.
TeslaCharge RateSOC.jpg

I started with 18%SOC and it took a couple of minutes to ramp up to the 145kW charge rate. I think it's safe to say that 140kW rate should be available from perhaps 5%SOC. After 40 minutes I left with 77%SOC. The tail of the curve to 91% is based upon the charging at the Burbank Service Center when we picked up the car.

The above graph doesn't tell the real world story, which is how fast you add rated miles when supercharging.
TeslaCharge RateMiles.jpg

I added 80 rated miles in the first 10 minutes (39%SOC), 60 rated miles in the second 10 minutes (56%SOC), 43 miles in the third 10 minutes (67%SOC) and 36 miles in the final 10 minutes (77%SOC). The 8 rated miles/minute charge rate should apply from ~10 rated miles up to 150 or so.

The 183 rated miles in 30 minutes blows away the record best 142 miles in 29 minutes (5.5 miles/minute) of my S90D. Average for that car for 30 minutes was more like 135 miles (4.5 miles/minute). The Raven was still charging at 5 miles/minute up to 225 rated miles (61%SOC).

On my Mammoth trips I should be able to drive the Raven at the same faster speed up to as down from Lone Pine, arriving with 40-50 rated miles vs. 10-15 with the S90D. Charge time in Lone Pine with the S90D of 45 minutes should be cut at least in half. I never took the S90D to my Utah timeshare because I estimated there would be 3.5 hours in charge stops. The Raven should have just over 2 hours in charge stops from LA to SLC, so we may consider that.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX