Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supervise self driving goes too close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you elaborate on what happened? I’ve not heard of any car on FSD or AP rear ending another car.

The previous reply answered your question as I was composing this reply. You can also adjust the following distance setting by pushing the right scroll wheel left or right.

Can you elaborate on what happened? I’ve not heard of any car on FSD or AP rear ending another car.

The previous reply answered your question as I was composing this reply. You can also adjust the following distance setting by pushing the right scroll wheel left or right.
I've not found that using the scroll wheel to adjust the following distance is available if you have FSD (supervised) engaged.

I've not found that using the scroll wheel to adjust the following distance is available if you have FSD (supervised) engaged.
Doesn’t work in the new Model S, but does in the 3/Y and the older S. Oddly, the left/right function of the right scroll wheel is not yet implemented in the new S, so trying to go left/right is the same as pressing the scroll wheel, which disengages AP.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Doesn’t work in the new Model S, but does in the 3/Y and the older S. Oddly, the left/right function of the right scroll wheel is not yet implemented in the new S, so trying to go left/right is the same as pressing the scroll wheel, which disengages AP.
It's not the same as pressing the scroll wheel, it's just super easy to click the scroll wheel button when you're trying to move it side-to-side. I'm convinced that this is the only reason why those buttons aren't used to select following distance.

You can, however, use the left/right click to satisfy the steering wheel nag. Also, pressing the cruise control button above the scroll wheel satisfies the steering wheel nag.

It's not the same as pressing the scroll wheel, it's just super easy to click the scroll wheel button when you're trying to move it side-to-side. I'm convinced that this is the only reason why those buttons aren't used to select following distance.

You can, however, use the left/right click to satisfy the steering wheel nag. Also, pressing the cruise control button above the scroll wheel satisfies the steering wheel nag.
I haven’t been able to move the right scroll wheel left or right in my S, even though I’ve had no trouble doing this in my other Teslas. The manual says this: “There is currently no action associated with pushing the right scroll button to the left and right.”

There’s no cruise control button on the new Model S wheel/yoke — that’s an indicator light to let you know you can press the right scroll wheel to activate AP. When I first got the car, I tried pressing that “button” to activate AP, and had to consult the manual to figure out why it didn’t work. If pressing there satisfies the nag, it’s only because you’re applying pressure to the wheel.

I haven’t been able to move the right scroll wheel left or right in my S, even though I’ve had no trouble doing this in my other Teslas. The manual says this: “There is currently no action associated with pushing the right scroll button to the left and right.”

There’s no cruise control button on the new Model S wheel/yoke — that’s an indicator light to let you know you can press the right scroll wheel to activate AP. When I first got the car, I tried pressing that “button” to activate AP, and had to consult the manual to figure out why it didn’t work. If pressing there satisfies the nag, it’s only because you’re applying pressure to the wheel.
The indicator light is in fact a button, it just doesn't have any documented actions. If you're snooping the LIN bus, you'll see that it sends out a signal for that button when pressed. Using the information that it does send a signal out, I tested out whether it could be used to satisfy the steering wheel nag yesterday. I did a drive with autosteer enabled and hands in my lap. I got the nag about 10 times and each time it immediately cleared when I did nothing but press the cruise control indicator light.

The left/right for the scroll wheel are the same; they don't have any documented actions, but they do send out a signal and satisfy the steering wheel nag. I've been using those as my preferred way of clearing it for months until I found the cruise control button over the weekend. The issue with the left/right button is that if you have your thumb on the wheel and try to pull it sideways, you'll also put enough force on it to act as a press. Since the press is mapped to an obvious action, it appears that the side buttons are programmed for the same action, but really you're just pressing two buttons at once. The technique I use for them is to place my thumb next to the scrollwheel, not on it and then slide toward the scroll wheel while lifting up slightly.

The indicator light is in fact a button, it just doesn't have any documented actions. If you're snooping the LIN bus, you'll see that it sends out a signal for that button when pressed. Using the information that it does send a signal out, I tested out whether it could be used to satisfy the steering wheel nag yesterday. I did a drive with autosteer enabled and hands in my lap. I got the nag about 10 times and each time it immediately cleared when I did nothing but press the cruise control indicator light.

The left/right for the scroll wheel are the same; they don't have any documented actions, but they do send out a signal and satisfy the steering wheel nag. I've been using those as my preferred way of clearing it for months until I found the cruise control button over the weekend. The issue with the left/right button is that if you have your thumb on the wheel and try to pull it sideways, you'll also put enough force on it to act as a press. Since the press is mapped to an obvious action, it appears that the side buttons are programmed for the same action, but really you're just pressing two buttons at once. The technique I use for them is to place my thumb next to the scrollwheel, not on it and then slide toward the scroll wheel while lifting up slightly.
The manual says it isn’t a button, but if it is, I wish Tesla had made that the way to enable/disable AP, which would have been more intuitive. The manual describes that control as an “identifier that is always illuminated to indicate that the right scroll wheel can be used with cruise control.”

I wonder if there’s something wrong with the right scroll button on my yoke. I definitely know how to push it left/right without pushing it in since I do that in my other Teslas.