Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supporting memberships and “almost no ads”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Does “almost no ads” in the supporting membership tiers include being spared from the god-awful full screen hijacks that logged in members have recently been subjected to? I would assume yes but would like clarification before considering.

They’re really a very special level of obnoxious.

IMG_0014.png

Last edited:
Does “almost no ads” in the supporting membership tiers include being spared from the god-awful full screen hijacks that logged in members have recently been subjected to? I would assume yes but would like clarification before considering.

They’re really a very special level of obnoxious. I guess it’s pay up to get a decent experience back?

View attachment 998538
I don't know what it is that is going on in that screenshot, but there should never be "full screen hijacks". All regular logged-in members should only ever see a single header ad and a footer ad, and never anything that takes over the screen or is overly distracting or obtrusive. I will get this looked into to find out what you may be experiencing. If you see this again please send more screenshots as it is hard to even tell what is going on in your screenshot.

Thank you. This started a few weeks ago I think? Maybe a little longer. Multiple devices, both mobile and desktop.

I could also try to grab page source when they show up if that’s helpful. Feels like it’s maybe every 15-20 page loads.

Thank you. This started a few weeks ago I think? Maybe a little longer. Multiple devices, both mobile and desktop.

I could also try to grab page source when they show up if that’s helpful. Feels like it’s maybe every 15-20 page loads.
Sure, anything you can grab would be useful. I see ads like normal members do and I have yet to see anything other than the standard banner ads that you would expect.

Reactions: ucmndd
Of course now I’ve been clicking around for 10 minutes trying to get another to pop up
and it won’t. It feels like certain header/footer ads are loading some script that will sort of “take over” the screen and show video material along the bottom edge. The screen cap above was a Kia Telluride ad that sorta creeps in from the edges, forms a border, and shows content along the bottom edge of the screen (regardless of where you are in terms of scrolling the actual page). It was in the process of receding when I managed to capture it.

The other big offender I’ve been getting is for Purina Cat Chow. 😂

Sorry, I know that’s not a super technical description. If/when I get them to display again I’ll do what I can to grab more info.

Appreciate your response and I apologize if I was a little testy and accusatory in my original post. I can only tolerate so much Cat Chow when talking Tesla. ;)

Of course now I’ve been clicking around for 10 minutes trying to get another to pop up
and it won’t. It feels like certain header/footer ads are loading some script that will sort of “take over” the screen and show video material along the bottom edge. The screen cap above was a Kia Telluride ad that sorta creeps in from the edges, forms a border, and shows content along the bottom edge of the screen (regardless of where you are in terms of scrolling the actual page). It was in the process of receding when I managed to capture it.

The other big offender I’ve been getting is for Purina Cat Chow. 😂

Sorry, I know that’s not a super technical description. If/when I get them to display again I’ll do what I can to grab more info.

Appreciate your response and I apologize if I was a little testy and accusatory in my original post. I can only tolerate so much Cat Chow when talking Tesla. ;)
No worries at all, I would feel exactly same way if I saw an ad like that, especially on a site like TMC where it is of utmost importance that we provide a good experience to those who generate the content which makes TMC what it is.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Got one! This is clearly Kia’s fault. 😂

It seems like in this case it was maybe the header ad that went full screen and popped up the video. Note in the various screen shots attached there’s no header ad displaying but a different/unrelated ad at the footer.

🤷🏼‍♂️

I realize this probably isn’t super helpful in terms of diagnostics.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.png
    IMG_0020.png
    762.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0021.png
    IMG_0021.png
    796.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0022.png
    IMG_0022.png
    951.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0023.png
    IMG_0023.png
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0024.png
    IMG_0024.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0025.png
    IMG_0025.png
    941.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0026.png
    IMG_0026.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

They’re really a very special level of obnoxious.

View attachment 998538
Looks like you’re using something like Tapatalk. They generate thier own ads.

Twice today I’ve been scrolling on main forum pages (Safari on iOS) and have had full screen 30 second video advertisements for the Disney streaming bundle take over my entire screen. I can swipe away and it will return me to the page I was viewing.

IMG_0190.png

I’m fully willing to entertain the idea that this is somehow unique to me or I’ve got some louseware on my phone or something, but it’s stock non-jailbroken iOS and it only happens on this site… 🤷🏼‍♂️