Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Survey Says!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are no self-driving cars available right now. It may be hard to believe with all the hype surrounding the emerging technology, but it’s still just hype—excited fanboys buoying a new piece of hardware far above its actual capabilities. It’s dangerous rhetoric. However, automakers and tech companies are racing to introduce the technology to the masses. Except the masses may not even want self-driving cars, at least not yet, according to an American Automobile Association study highlighted by Bloomberg.

Seven out of 10 of those surveyed want nothing to do with the technology even as 55 percent of those surveyed believed most cars would have the ability to drive themselves by 2029. Much of the apprehension with the technology likely stems from the unknown. Fifty-three percent of those surveyed said they’d be comfortable using a fully autonomous vehicle at low speeds like a people-mover at an airport. However, only 44 percent of respondents said they’d be comfortable with autonomous delivery vehicles. And only 19 percent said they’d feel comfortable putting a child or family member into a self-driving car.

GM-Cruise-AV-interior-720x358.jpg

But it’s not all doom and gloom for autonomous vehicles. Cars equipped with automated driver assistance systems such as automatic emergency braking and lane-keep assist appear to make people more likely to trust fully autonomous vehicles—68 percent of respondents, according to the study.

Growing consumer trust is key to the success of autonomous vehicles. Cruise Automation, Waymo, and 22 other organizations formed Partnership for Automated Vehicle Education (PAVE), a coalition designed to familiarize the public with self-driving cars through test rides, educational workshops, and informational materials.

There will need to be a massive educational push as autonomous vehicles become more ubiquitous to ensure passengers understand the capabilities and limitations of the technology—and the differences between make and models. Not correctly educating consumers on how the new technology operates could lead to consequential failures, injuries, and death. Driver education in the U.S. is already abysmal, and the influx of self-driving cars could complicate an already poorly implemented educational program.

Read more: Consumers Wary Of Self-Driving Cars In Latest Study

After software update message in the display. Impossible to charge from wallbox charger although is charging with 11 Kwh instead of 20 Kwh
They want to sell me a new onboard inverter forUS$ 6000,- first I think could be a software problem secondly I think its a ripoff

I am very frustrated I can understand a part can break down but then ask this kind of amount is really awfull And they want me to sign the order first without ANY guarantee from Tesla side
I do not know what to deside now
As very early tesla adepter I feel screwed
Do not know if I want to order my Model3 now

There are no self-driving cars available right now. It may be hard to believe with all the hype surrounding the emerging technology, but it’s still just hype—excited fanboys buoying a new piece of hardware far above its actual capabilities. It’s dangerous rhetoric. However, automakers and tech companies are racing to introduce the technology to the masses. Except the masses may not even want self-driving cars, at least not yet, according to an American Automobile Association study highlighted by Bloomberg.

Seven out of 10 of those surveyed want nothing to do with the technology even as 55 percent of those surveyed believed most cars would have the ability to drive themselves by 2029. Much of the apprehension with the technology likely stems from the unknown. Fifty-three percent of those surveyed said they’d be comfortable using a fully autonomous vehicle at low speeds like a people-mover at an airport. However, only 44 percent of respondents said they’d be comfortable with autonomous delivery vehicles. And only 19 percent said they’d feel comfortable putting a child or family member into a self-driving car.

GM-Cruise-AV-interior-720x358.jpg

But it’s not all doom and gloom for autonomous vehicles. Cars equipped with automated driver assistance systems such as automatic emergency braking and lane-keep assist appear to make people more likely to trust fully autonomous vehicles—68 percent of respondents, according to the study.

Growing consumer trust is key to the success of autonomous vehicles. Cruise Automation, Waymo, and 22 other organizations formed Partnership for Automated Vehicle Education (PAVE), a coalition designed to familiarize the public with self-driving cars through test rides, educational workshops, and informational materials.

There will need to be a massive educational push as autonomous vehicles become more ubiquitous to ensure passengers understand the capabilities and limitations of the technology—and the differences between make and models. Not correctly educating consumers on how the new technology operates could lead to consequential failures, injuries, and death. Driver education in the U.S. is already abysmal, and the influx of self-driving cars could complicate an already poorly implemented educational program.

Read more: Consumers Wary Of Self-Driving Cars In Latest Study
===============
The problem isn't the self driving cars ... it's the human driven ones that do unpredictable things.

Those surveys are fundamentally not reliable for the simple fact that they ask people to compare something they know (a human driven car) with something that doesn't exist and can only be speculated about.
It's like comparing apples to bananas.
A serious survey on the subject will only be possible when real self driving will exist, and only enquiring people that will have used both for a sufficiently extended period of time. The it will be comparing apples with apples, and meaningful.
I may venture that in such a scenario the answer will be something like 95% pro - 5% against.

Until vehicle manufacturers are willing to accept financial responsibility for death and/or damage caused by their so-called autonomous systems, consumers should be extremely leery of trusting the technology. If Tesla wants to charge me $8k for FSD, then Tesla should accept the blame if my car smashes into the back of a semi because the software couldn't detect the semi. It's really as simple as that. Until they are willing to put their money where their mouths are, vehicle manufacturers are basically saying "we don't believe in our own technology".

This is so easy.

Reactions: AMPd
Those surveys are fundamentally not reliable for the simple fact that they ask people to compare something they know (a human driven car) with something that doesn't exist and can only be speculated about.
It's like comparing apples to bananas.
A serious survey on the subject will only be possible when real self driving will exist, and only enquiring people that will have used both for a sufficiently extended period of time. The it will be comparing apples with apples, and meaningful.
I may venture that in such a scenario the answer will be something like 95% pro - 5% against.

I'll agree, surveys can be quite bogus and are highly dependent on the actual questions asked.

If I asked Tesla drivers right now, if they wanted to drive a self-driving car as they exist today, the answer is indeed no. If I were to aske the question "Would you want to ride in a self-driving car that has been tested and proven to be safe" then everyone would tend to say yes.

But if we get down to basics, most everyone drives a form of self-driving car (there are a few holdouts that don't trust it) and that's called cruise control, not TACC, just basic cruise control.

And the 53% who say they trust a people mover at an airport is funny, because most airports with trains are indeed just that, self driving.

Reactions: f205v