Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Trying to figure out the clearances to avoid rubbing. Have the performance and wanted to add a little more cushion (wider, taller tire). I cant find the clearance data on the suspension components. Would love to hear if anybody thinks the following setup will rub.

Uberturbines:

Front stock 255/35/21 to proposed 265/40/21
Rear stock 275/35/21 to proposed 285/40/21

The tires (both front and rear) are about 1.4" taller and 0.5" wider. So, for clearances, would need 0.7" clearance for taller and 0.25" wider.... Anybody have the measurements to see if this setup will work? Speedo would be off by 4%. Dont care about the speedometer but wanted to see if I can get away with cushier tires.

-Would this in any way affect alignment?
-Any other considerations to note here?

Thanks for the feedback.

Please look above your front wheel and see if there is 0.7” clearance to the steering knuckle ball joint and report back.

Looks like we are right at 1" right there. Because of the curvature I assume the clearance should be just slightly less. Maybe .9" due to the fuller tire... the Q is does the gap have any play during normal stress while driving???

Attachments

• PXL_20210102_203934948.jpg
    PXL_20210102_203934948.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 6,725
Looks like we are right at 1" right there. Because of the curvature I assume the clearance should be just slightly less. Maybe .9" due to the fuller tire... the Q is does the gap have any play during normal stress while driving???
The gap should stay the same during driving. The real question is how does the tread width of the tire you're looking to get compare to the OE tire. A "265/40R21" tire might have 0.25" clearance to the knuckle or actually interfere due to the variation in tire tread design.

Here are some more pics for front knuckle... i think i have a better understanding of the components now and clearance levels. However, still not sure it fits. my gut says no, but i am measuring conservatively. at best there will 3-5mm of clearance. that should be enough, but the margin for error, if I am wrong is very very small.

Here is what i did: I cut off a small 1x2 (actual size of 0.75" x 1.5") and set it on the tire and moved it around a bit. it is close with a clearance measurement of the 0.75 block and maybe a credit card. That measurement is from the tire diagonally to knuckle. it looks like we have the room, but would love to have an opinion from somebody that has actually done this.

Somebody also mentioned something about alignment being off, if i up the size, but i am skeptical, as we are barely changing the the dynamic of the wheel other than the overall diameter. Need to make a decision soon as i am not sure how long i can keep driving on the summer tires in the dead of winter (car is mostly standing but still would like to have proper tires on it).

PXL_20210103_001351748.jpg PXL_20210103_001356619.jpg PXL_20210103_001402425.jpg PXL_20210103_001406163.jpg PXL_20210103_001411148.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: SeattleSteve
Here are some more pics for front knuckle... i think i have a better understanding of the components now and clearance levels. However, still not sure it fits. my gut says no, but i am measuring conservatively. at best there will 3-5mm of clearance. that should be enough, but the margin for error, if I am wrong is very very small.

Here is what i did: I cut off a small 1x2 (actual size of 0.75" x 1.5") and set it on the tire and moved it around a bit. it is close with a clearance measurement of the 0.75 block and maybe a credit card. That measurement is from the tire diagonally to knuckle. it looks like we have the room, but would love to have an opinion from somebody that has actually done this.

Somebody also mentioned something about alignment being off, if i up the size, but i am skeptical, as we are barely changing the the dynamic of the wheel other than the overall diameter. Need to make a decision soon as i am not sure how long i can keep driving on the summer tires in the dead of winter (car is mostly standing but still would like to have proper tires on it).

View attachment 623641 View attachment 623642 View attachment 623643 View attachment 623644 View attachment 623645
Thanks for all the great photos. Depending on the shop. You could ask them to fit a single tire where if it fits you just buy it all or if it doesnt pay restocking fee. Some are willing it all depends on the tech as they are helping with the sell.

This obviously means they need to have the tire. You could always order your own and sell if it doesnt work. Lost only price of tire and discount for it being “used”

The block in the pic is exactly 3/4"

If you look at the block and how I have it positioned, the measurement is diagonal, while the rise of the tire would be vertical... probably closer to an inch or so. Have to take into account the wider tire of 0.5" / 2 =0.25" on each side, but that should prob bring the clearance down to 0.9", so all in all about 5mm clearance. I have seen ppl run tires with less clearance than that and never have a rubbing issue.

I am a little surprised that nobody here has done this already and documented for all the interested parties. trying really hard not to be the test case :)

Reactions: Iceman23
Best you could hope to do and my understand is that it rubs a little. But this is what MPP told me - not Brian at i1Tesla... Here's his build... 4 inch overall lift including the bigger tires.

31” is like 255/50/r21 so 265/40/r21 should be cake walk.. 295/40/r21 might be near redzone.
But we do not know when rubbing started on his 31” wheels

31” is like 255/50/r21 so 265/40/r21 should be cake walk.. 295/40/r21 might be near redzone.
But we do not know when rubbing started on his 31” wheels

The first set he puts on are 30" tall tires... Which is kinds where I want to go... He skips around doing things a lot... BUT he is the only person I have found that has done a comprehensive youtube on this. I really really dislike the 21" staggered wheels - but I wanted the performance Y.

Reactions: Quorky