Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SW update improved my car's handling? Is that even possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most recent software update (2023.12.11) dramatically changed my Model Y's handling. It's a little hard to describe, but it's the most dramatic in cornering, the car feels like it just sticks to the road better vs kind of body-rolling normally. And the suspension used to feel unbearably stiff, every bump no matter how small was a huge jolt, and I thought that was just what overly sporty-tuned suspension felt like. Its former behavior was actually quite bad. Now it suddenly drives pretty well. My first thought after only rolling a few feet after the SW update was "oh my god, do I have a flat tire?" because that's how much smoother it was. But no, the tires are unchanged, I think this is just what properly functioning suspension feels like and I had grown used to whatever was wrong with my car before.

So... what in the world happened? How much can the software even control my suspension? I know software could easily enough be changing the front-rear power distribution, but what other things could it be doing? How did my cars handling change so much?

Thanks for any explanations or guesses you guys might have. And yeah, placebo is possible, but it's pretty dramatic and I'd be really surprised if it's all just in my head

Butt, it could affect their butt sensor. We all know that's where ride comfort is measured.

Definitely, lol.

If model 3s and Ys had any sort of adaptable suspension, then this could be a thing (so on a model S or X perhaps?). 3/Y suspension is all mechanical though, so while tesla could change things like regen braking, or even acceleration profiles, they cant do anything in software about suspension except perhaps change the feel of the heaviness of turning the steering wheel.

Definitely not anything about "planted ride" or body roll.

Reactions: tm1v2
Thanks, I didn't think there was anything closely realted to handling that was even possible for a SW update to change but am glad to have confirmation from everybody, so I guess temperature change is the coincidental thing that roughly corresponds to the change in handling. Although it took a hair over 80F for the suspension to behave well. If that's the case, does that tell me anything about the state of my suspension and if anything needs serviced there?

The most recent software update (2023.12.11) dramatically changed my Model Y's handling. It's a little hard to describe, but it's the most dramatic in cornering, the car feels like it just sticks to the road better vs kind of body-rolling normally. And the suspension used to feel unbearably stiff, every bump no matter how small was a huge jolt, and I thought that was just what overly sporty-tuned suspension felt like. Its former behavior was actually quite bad. Now it suddenly drives pretty well. My first thought after only rolling a few feet after the SW update was "oh my god, do I have a flat tire?" because that's how much smoother it was. But no, the tires are unchanged, I think this is just what properly functioning suspension feels like and I had grown used to whatever was wrong with my car before.

So... what in the world happened? How much can the software even control my suspension? I know software could easily enough be changing the front-rear power distribution, but what other things could it be doing? How did my cars handling change so much?

Thanks for any explanations or guesses you guys might have. And yeah, placebo is possible, but it's pretty dramatic and I'd be really surprised if it's all just in my head

The suspension, no. The suspension on our cars is entirely mechanical, not even the shocks are electrically adjustable.

That being said, it's entirely possible they tweaked the stability control software. That uses g sensor and wheel speed inputs and allocates power via the engines and per-wheel brake application.

They could adjust the under/oversteer aspects of the cars handling but not:
  • joltiness of the suspension over bumps- that's high speed compression/rebound on the shock. Can't adjust that on a tesla unless you swap in adjustable shocks.
  • body roll- that's low speed shock damping and you can't adjust that either in a tesla
One thing I wish that was available for the MYP/M3P was magnetic fluid adjustable shocks. I know tractive made them for the miata (they were $$$) and I think ford/gm/porsche provide them as vehicle options. Basically it was an electrically controllable damping system that would change high/low speed damping a few thousand times a second so the car would be completely compliant over bumps but perfectly resist body roll in corners, etc. Tesla could really use something like that.

One thing that I noticed on the same update as the OP noted is that my car was much more peppy. That being said, it took me a few miles to realize that when it rebooted itself after the update, it restarted in normal mode instead of my usual "chill" mode. Needless to say, I put it back in "chill" after I noticed that the chill indicator above the regen bar was not showing. And on a side note, after pretty much EVERY update I return to the car, and the music will be playing when I start it.