Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapalease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone here used Swapalease to take over a lease for a Tesla? I'm looking for some feedback on the process .... what went well / what would they do different next time? Especially in regards to paperwork and registering the car in a different state than where it resides now .....

Thanks!!

-Sam

Has anyone here used Swapalease to take over a lease for a Tesla? I'm looking for some feedback on the process .... what went well / what would they do different next time? Especially in regards to paperwork and registering the car in a different state than where it resides now .....

Thanks!!

-Sam
Hello,
I just used them to takeover the lease on my Model S. Swapalease is just a "dating" service. They introduce the parties and then the Tesla Finance and the parties do the work. Interestingly, once the seller and I agreed on terms, I believe the seller "cut-out" swapalease.

Anyway the actual process with Tesla is a bit annoying because it takes a few weeks compared with BMW that can be done in days electronically. Their finance department is great, but very small by comparison. Tesla made it very easy with documents first requesting the transfer. Once the parties agree, Tesla Finance will transfer the title to the new owner. They will take care of registration and taxes in your state. Be aware that the taxes will change your payment if you are in a different state. The fee was $600 to Tesla for the transfer and they then Fedex'ed me my new plates and registration. That cost is a separate fee depending upon your state, but they took care of it as though I bought the car from one of their stores. Good Luck!!